- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
ORGANIZATION: Nourish NPO
Please visit the new page to apply.
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
We are providing business and entrepreneurship skills through strategic workshops to develop small businesses through agriculture.
Our projects are all interlinked and holistic, in order to help a community grow in all aspects. Our programming focuses are Education, Enterprise and Tourism.
Agriculture is still very active in the rural areas but mostly consists of subsistence farming with very little successful income or businesses being created. Our Agricultural Entrepreneurship program tackles this issue by providing training in basic business and entrepreneur skills, agri processing, and sustainable and contemporary farming techniques.
The Eco village is our classroom and showroom
We are always more than happy to welcome people who are interested in learning about a new culture, doing research or aiming to learn a new skill.
As your focus will be on agricultural entrepreneurship you will spend a lot of time at our training farm, working with the product development team, and visiting and assisting local small agri-businesses. From 8am to 4pm.
We offer 2 options:
- A Nourish Immersive Experience (volunteering) is based on immersing yourself into the day to day operations and running of the programme. To have a better understanding of what we do, and how an NGO here in South Africa works.
- A Nourish Internship is divided between an individual project you will complete based on your chosen field, and immersing yourself into the day to day operations and running of the programme. You will also be studying a course in the UN Sustainable Development Goals and completing worksheets and a report as to how our program and your project contributes towards sustainable development.
Spending time on our training farm:
* Agro-Ecology training, very similar to permaculture, but more suited to African conditions,
* Helping at the farm and assisting with daily tasks.
* Manufacturing products from our farm such Pickle Beetroots, Monkey Orange syrup, gluten free flour and hot sauce.
* Exploring new recipes with Indigenous fruit & vegetables
As well spending time with our outreach agri-businesses:
* Spending time with our local satellite businesses helping with their projects (locally made hot sauce, hydroponics etc..)
* Assisting local businesses with marketing, financial or operational support if and where applicable
* Enterprise Workshop facilitation and assistance
* Hydroponics training
At Nourish Eco Village our goal is to create sustainable change - and have long-term impact in the spheres of sustainability, conservation and community resilience. We believe that by working to grow resilient wildlife communities that are healthy, educated, and have access to employment opportunities, we can break the poverty cycle and thus impact the poaching coming out of rural areas.
The community of Sigagule and the surrounding rural villages in the Acornhoek area of Mpumalanga struggle daily with even the most basic elements of life. Access to running water, and electricity is a difficulty most face daily. There is a high unemployment rate, many children have access to schooling, but education levels are extremely low at schools, and the biggest economic contributor to the area - tourism - is out of reach for many. It is in this context that Nourish works.
Included in your stay with us:
- Three meals per day (7 days per week)
- Pick up and drop off from Hoedspruit or Airport
- Oversight and inclusion in your work and activities
- Nourish T-Shirt
- SIM card (if needed)
- Field trips with our Green Kidz to local spots like the Kruger National Park, or animal rehabilitation center
100% of your payment will go through our Nourish Foundation to help us to run all of our programs.Highlights
- Make a real, lasting difference in people's lives through your participation in our socio-economic development projects.
- Work side by side with local agri-entrepreneurs to develop new products.
- Gain hands-on experience in small to medium size enterprise development
- Visit Kruger National Park and get the chance to see an elusive leopard or experience the gentleness of an elephant.
- Enjoy an authentic South African experience in food, culture and wildlife together with staff, locals and other volunteers from around the globe!
7 More opportunities with Nourish NPO1 Review
About Nourish NPO
Sigagule Village, Hoedspruit, limpopo 1380, ZA
Our goal is to create sustainable change - and have long-term impact in the spheres of both conservation and community upliftment. We believe that by working to grow wildlife resilient communities, that are healthy, educated, and have access to opportunities, we can break the poverty cycle and thus impact the poaching coming out of rural areas.
Nourish NPO has a holistic approach to poverty and community development. By incorporating conservation education and economic empowerment through our business incubator and education centers, we strive to fight poaching through fighting poverty.
Nourish has been running since 2011 in a village on the border of the Greater Kruger Park area, to try and bridge the gap between community and conservation, as well as bringing tourists into our area to experience the Shangaan culture.
We have a variety of programs that range from Early Childhood Development, Farming, after school care, conservation education and field trips, feeding schemes, animal outreaches as well as a tourism pillar that focuses on community tours.
Nourish Eco Village, R531 Orpen RoadOrpen RoadHoedspruit, Limpopo South Africa
April 24, 2023
- Brand Development & Messaging
- Business Planning
- Business Development
- Professional Development
- Market Research / Analysis
- Marketing Analytics
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- We welcome volunteers all year around, for a minimum of 2 weeks.