24 people are interested
ORGANIZATION: The Literacy Connection
Please visit the new page to apply.
24 people are interested
Did you know that out of 8.7 million Illinois residents over age 25, over 419,000 (5%) have less than a ninth-grade education?
Low literacy impacts every aspect of life and every person as a result. Populations at-risk for unemployment, low educational attainment, and lack of access to healthcare overlap with areas where low literacy rates are highest. Unmet literacy needs create barriers to success, making access to literacy education support in such communities even more vital.
- Complete a 12 hour tutor training course at your own pace.
- Prepare lessons based on an adult learner's interests and needs.
- Provide a respectful and positive learning environment.
- Guide your adult learner(s) and help them meet their literacy goals.
- Meet on a regular basis with your adult learner(s) to provide consistency.
- Measure progress and growth of adult learner(s) through out time spent together.
Locations are flexible and based on your convenience! Do you want to lead a conversation group with multiple people? The Gail Borden Public Library (downtown Elgin) has conference rooms available to us. Churches, schools and other libraries are more than accommodating as well. Are you more interested in one-on-one tutoring? Any public space will suffice. If you feel comfortable using digital platforms like Zoom, we support online education as well.
More opportunities with The Literacy Connection1 Review
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About The Literacy Connection
270 N. Grove Avenue, Elgin, IL 60120, US
The Literacy Connection is dedicated to helping adults acquire fundamental literacy skills by teaching them to read, write, speak and understand English through one-on-one volunteer tutoring and small group instruction in the northwest suburbs of Chicago.
The Literacy Connection, an affiliate of ProLiteracy, is a non-profit, community-based 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1983 by Gail Borden Public Library staff. The organization’s service area is spread throughout 16 northwest Chicago suburban communities: Algonquin, Bartlett, Carpentersville, Cary, Elgin, South Elgin, East Dundee, West Dundee, Gilberts, Hanover Park, Hampshire, Hoffman Estates, Huntley, Lake in the Hills, Streamwood, and Schaumburg located in Cook, Kane and McHenry Counties.
The organization offers learner-centered instruction in settings that meet individual needs. In the Adult Volunteer Literacy Program, the organization provides free literacy and English language tutoring to adults. The twelve-hour tutor training teaches volunteers to help individuals learn to read, write, speak and understand English better. Instruction is offered in any public location or remotely at convenient times. Most learners are tutored at a minimum of four hours each month for at least a one-year commitment.
Multiple locations Elgin, IL 60120
March 6, 2023
- General Education
- Literacy / Reading
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Adult Education
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- We ask that you meet with your learner(s) at least once a week and spend an hour or more together. Please also consider the time needed to plan lessons and evaluate your learners' needs. Plus we offer regular ongoing training and support.
- ESL background not necessary.