2 people are interested
Camp Counselor for Hagley Summer Camp
ORGANIZATION: Hagley Museum and Library
Please visit the new page to apply.
2 people are interested
Camp Counselors support Camp Instructors during the running of Hagley Summer Camps. These opportunities are for youth volunteers, age range 15-18. This activity will earn approximately 60 hours of volunteer time. Each camp will have 3-4 Camp Counselors. Counselors assist with activity set-up, preparation and clean-up; group management and conflict resolution; and setting a friendly, engaging atmosphere throughout the camp week. There are two camp sessions: July 10-14 and July 31 - August 4. Daily report times are 8:30 am-4:30 pm.
1) Training is provided in advance of camp week (dates June 28 and 29 or July 26 and 27). Training is mandatory.
2) You must commit to the full week of camp.
3) You will be interviewed for this activity prior to final assignment.
- Life Long Ago Camp (July 10 - 14) immerses campers into life in a nineteenth century black powder factory and workers’ village. Each day, campers explore different activities common during the 1800s, such as gardening, cooking, making toys, and dancing. Campers also participate in tasks specific to a powder factory like firing off charges of powder, making barrels, and constructing water wheels. The camp week culminates in a carnival when campers can share what they have learned with their families.
- Campers in Camp Innovation (July 10 - 14) investigate various STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, and math) topics and complete daily hands-on challenges. Each camp day will focus on a different topic and will include building science skills as well as creative and critical thinking to solve problems.
- Civil War (July 31 - August 4) campers will march into the past to discover what life was like for Civil War soldiers and for those left on the home front. Each day will have a different theme, such as the DuPont Company war effort, drilling, wartime food rations, signaling, battlefront medicine, and leisure during wartime. The camp week will conclude with a Grand Parade for campers and their families.
- During STEM Discovery Camp(July 31 - August 4), campers investigate scientific and engineering concepts and complete hands-on challenges. Each camp day will focus on a different topic in science and include subjects in life science, physical science, technology, and engineering. At a Science Expo at the end of the week, campers can show off their projects and favorite demonstrations for their families.
If interested, please email email@example.com for information on how to sign up or express your interest here on VolunteerMatch.
More opportunities with Hagley Museum and Library3 Reviews
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Hagley Museum and Library
PO Box 3630, Wilmington, DE 19807, US
Hagley Museum and Library collects, preserves, and interprets the unfolding history of American enterprise. Hagley is located on 235 acres by the Brandywine River in Wilmington, Delaware.
Located on 235 acres along the banks of the Brandywine River in Wilmington, Delaware, Hagley is the site of the gunpowder works founded by E. I. du Pont in 1802. This example of early American industry includes restored mills, a workers' community, and the ancestral home and gardens of the du Pont family.
Hagley's library furthers the study of business and technology in America, especially the Middle Atlantic region. The collections include individuals' papers and companies' records ranging from eighteenth-century merchants to modern telecommunications and illustrate the impact of the business system on society.
The Center for the History of Business, Technology, and Society organizes and administers the Hagley Museum and Library's interaction with the world of scholarship. It brings attention to Hagley's research collections and generates intellectual dialogue at Hagley.
200 Hagley Creek RoadWilmington, DE 19807
March 14, 2023
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Must be at least 15
- Orientation or Training
- Choose from two weeks of Camp: July 10 - 14 or July 31 - August 4
- Counselors must attend training prior to camp dates on June 28 and 29 or July 26 and 27