Rapid Expert Assistance and Cooperation Teams for Conflict Prevention, Crisis Management, and Post-C
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Helsinki España - Dimensión HumanaBACKGROUND INFORMATION
Our REACT course consists of a five-week training program focused on peacebuilding and conflict prevention. It is aimed at professionals interested in working on issues related to peace operations and the maintenance of international peace and security.ORIGINS
REACT was created in 2003 with the aim of preparing professionals of different backgrounds, interested in joining the experts pool "Expert Teams for Rapid Assistance and Cooperation" of the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE). Over time, the content of the course has been expanded to include all aspects of conflict prevention and peacebuilding and all contexts in which peace operations take place.
This is the only training course of its kind that takes place in Spain. Since 2003, 25 editions have been organized, with over 500 students benefiting from it, many of whom have gone on to work in international field operations.
The next edition will take place from May 30th to July 2022. Registration is now open. The deadline is 1st of March, 2022. Early applications are encouraged.PARTICIPATING INSTITUTIONS
- United Nations, UN
- Organization for the Security and Cooperation in Europe, OSCE
- North Atlantic Treaty Organization, NATO
- Spanish Ministry of Defense
- International Committee of the Red Cross, ICRC
- Provide participants with the knowledge and skills required to understand and analyze the main threats to international peace and security, the circumstances in which armed conflicts arise, their key actors and their impact on civilians.
- Improve participants’ skills in conflict prevention, management and resolution as well as the protection of civilians in armed conflict.
- Strengthen the competence and confidence of the participants to deal with risk or critical situations in an effective manner, as would be the case when working in peace missions.
Module I: Conflict Prevention and Peacebuilding: Conceptual Framework
- Peace and conflict analysis
- Conflict prevention
- Conflict management
Module II: International Law: Overview
- Public International Law: Basic Concepts
- International Protection of Human Rights
- International Humanitarian Law
- International Criminal Law
Module III: Protection of Civilians
- Protection of Civilians in Armed Conflict
- Women, Peace and Security. Gender in Operations
- Children and Armed Conflict
- Refugees and Displaced Persons
Module IV: Current Conflicts and Threats to International Peace and Security
- Asia: Afghanistan, North Korea and Myanmar
- Middle East: Israel-Palestine, Iraq, Syria and Yemen
- Sub-Saharan Africa: Central African Republic, Democratic Republic of Congo, Mali, and South Sudan
- Maghreb: Libya and Western Sahara
- Eastern Europe and the Caucasus: Ukraine and Kosovo
- Latin America: Colombia
- Radicalization, Terrorism and Violent Extremism
- Transnational Organized Crime
- Weapons of Mass Destruction
- Hybrid Threats
- Climate Change
Module V: Key Actors and Their Contribution to International Peace and Security
- United Nations, Peace and Security Pillar
- European Union, Common Security and Defense Policy
- Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE)
- African Union, Common Defense and Security
- North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO)
- The Role of Civil Society
Module VI: Tools for Sustainable Peace
- Disarmament, Demobilization and Reintegration of Ex-Combatants (DDR)
- Security Sector Reform (SSR)
- Accountability and Transitional Justice
- Elections in Peacebuilding
- The Role of the Media in Peace and Conflicts
Module VII: Skills and Competencies
- Perception of risks and threats. Personal safety.
- Security and protection procedures for vehicle movement
- Kidnapping and hostage-taking
- Weapons, mines, improvised explosives, and unexploded ordnance
- Protection of sensitive and classified information
- First aid in hostile environments
- Field orientation and communication
- Off-road driving
- Working with interpreters
- Stress management
- Multicultural Negotiation and Communication
- Chemical, Biological, Radiological, and Nuclear Defense
- Interacting with the media
- Professional Development
As part of our REACT course, students will participate in an intensive five-day training program that will equip them with the skills and competencies necessary to deal effectively with critical or emergency situations while deployed in hostile environment missions. This training is aimed at improving the capabilities of the participants in their daily work in conflict situations.FACULTY
REACT teaching staff are trainers and experts from international organizations (including the UN, EU, OSCE, and NATO), diplomats and civil servants, military personnel, police officers, experts from the ICRC and humanitarian NGOs, independent consultants, and university professors.PARTICIPATION FEE
The total REACT course fee is 4.950 €. There are a limited number of partial scholarships available, which cover up to 35% of the course fee. Scholarships are awarded based on the profile and needs of candidates, on a first-come, first-served basis. Therefore, early applications are encouraged.
The fee includes the following services:
- Comprehensive five-week REACT course (220h total, 8h/day)
- Complete five-day Hostile Environment Awareness Training (HEAT)
- Organized local transport (Madrid-El Albir-Los Ángeles-Madrid)
- Personal mentoring focused on professional development, networking opportunities with participating organizations, and direct access to UNV recruiters
- 550€ registration fee (non-refundable)
- All course materials
- Official diploma
* Meals and accommodation costs are NOT included. Applicants are also responsible for their visa-related costs.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurringFalse
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
11 Calle de Santa Cruz de MarcenadoMadrid, MD 28015Spain
January 18, 2022