Remote Conservation Intern on Grant-writing & Fundraising
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: La Tortuga Viva
La Tortuga Viva (LTV), locally known as "Association Civil Campamento Tortuguero Playa Icacos," is a non-profit conservation organization dedicated to repopulating threatened sea turtle species nesting on Playa Icacos. Since our beginning in 2010, we have released over 500,000 baby sea turtles through the leadership and participation of members of the local community of Juluchuca, Guerrero, to relocate vulnerable nests into our Sanctuary for incubation and, ultimately, release the hatchlings into the ocean. Our community conservation program includes environmental education, sustainable ecotourism and local and international volunteer options to support and complement our direct conservation work.
Find us on:
TheOceanFoundation LaTortugaViva sponsored project
Volunteers & Interns
Volunteers are essential to our organization and La Tortuga Viva is looking for motivated and skillful candidates for the position of Remote Conservation Intern (RCI) on Grant-writing & Fundraising (on-line position).
- All positions are unpaid. We do not charge any fee to volunteer with us. We do not provide insurance, transportation to and from Mexico, or cover other personal expenses. Volunteers are welcome to fundraise for their position.
- All positions are eligible for internships and placements that offer educational credits for students and researchers who want to collaborate with us. All fields of study are welcome.
- Volunteer roles depend on availability, location, experience, and fulfillment of basic requirements:
- Long term commitment: minimum 4-5 months
- Fluency in English
- Fluency in Spanish as well is prefered
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
Support La Tortuga Viva from anywhere in the world! Either as a volunteer, academic or part of an internship/placement, the Remote Conservation Intern (RCI) role offers its candidates a unique opportunity to use the resources of one's domestic location to aid an international NGO.
This position is for those with proficient research, writing and organisational skills. It is a multifaceted role designed to help with fundraising and grant applications, outreach, networking and communication.
La Tortuga Viva is an active applicant of international grant opportunities. Grant opportunities intended for environmentally-based non-profits are a meaningful collaboration between two organisations working towards a healthier planet. RCIs will monitor the available market for grants and work with the LTV team towards their acquisition.
We also conduct fundraisers for various important projects, such as vital construction work at the sanctuary, equipment, materials, and educational projects. As we are a non-profit organisation, this is vital to keep our NGO running and we are always looking at new possible opportunities for this.
Aspects of this role include but are not limited to:
- Grant Writing
- Seeking grant opportunities
- Compiling necessary information for applications
- Writing applications to a professional standard
- Submitting completed applications within the allotted time frame, as well as ensuring a copy is saved to the LTV Google Drive
- Monitoring the progress of applications
- Assisting with the stewardship of successful applications
- Researching fundraising opportunities
- Promoting current and future fundraisers
- Managing fundraising projects, such as GoFundMe accounts
- Outreaching to businesses/organisations which may wish to collaborate or sponsor LTV
- Additional duties
- Coordinating with the onsite team, such as frequent emails and organising online meetings
- Undertaking tasks which could not be completed by former RCIs
- Ensuring that guides are created for projects which will be taken on by future RCIs
- Coordinating with other RCIs to promote projects through social media
- Proofreading and translation assistance for newly created documents
- Keeping the LTV Google drive updated and organised
- Develop NGO Support Skills
RCIs can learn the details of an NGO, how it is run and how it impacts the world. This role teaches its candidate extensive skills in its respective fields. Support skills are highly transferable to other fields and stand candidates in good stead for similar careers. Grant-writing, report-writing and documentation is regularly practised in this role.
- Social Media Management Skills
Learn to manage different social media platforms, including accounts with over 1.5K followers. Develop useful skills in promoting, graphic development, marketing and more. Interact with an online community of followers and connect to organisations all over the world. Networking opportunities also arise for candidates through this role.
- Support A Force For Change
La Tortuga Viva is a passionate organisation working each day to make a difference in the face of unprecedented threats. Our organisation is one of thousands across the world, all working to protect the environment as a whole. Sea turtles and their importance to oceanic health can be an unparalleled tool for the future of marine environments. By supporting La Tortuga Viva, candidates are part of a wider community of dedicated environmental NGOs.
- Invitation to Volunteer In-Person
Although remote, the opportunity to volunteer in-person is always available to our RCIs. All are welcome to join our project for any length of time, although longer stays are encouraged. RCIs will not need to be profiled like other candidates due to their history with LTV.
- Work From Home
- RCIs are able to work from home with relatively flexible hours.
- Academic Fulfilment
Many volunteers assist our NGO as part of their academic career (internships, placements, academic credit).
- Letter of Reference
Upon the successful completion of the period of service with us, LTV leaders encourage volunteers to request a reference for future prospects.
Required Certification, Skills & Qualifications:
- A long term commitment of 5+ months
- Virtual Access
Access to a CPU, laptop, tablet or similar multi-capable device is essential for this role. As most of your work is online i.e. research, grant writing and social media management, candidates must be established with the necessary equipment to fulfil the responsibilities of an RCI.
- Access to WiFi or Network
Internet access is essential for this role i.e. research, communication, coordination etc.
- Proficiency in Research, Writing & Organizational Areas
Candidates must demonstrate an ability to effectively manage the responsibilities of the RCI role in order to support LTV. This is integral and those who are lacking in the necessary skills to do so will struggle to perform the role. Prior experience in these fields are preferred, although not essential.
- Qualifications in one of the following fields:
Life Sciences (biology, ecology, zoology, marine biology, conservation, environmental protection, etc.), Education (environmental education, education for youth, community development & related fields), Management (NGO management, volunteer management & related fields), or relevant experience in social media, marketing, communications, graphic design.
- Fluency in English, and Spanish is a plus
A fluency in both is preferred, however an RCI can get by with an experienced fluency in only one of these categories.
- Willingness to Volunteer & In a Remote Setting from LTV HQ
Volunteers need a strong sense of willingness to participate and actively become part of LTV’s mission. The mantra 'hard work leads to success’ is no more embodied than in our organisation. The more active a volunteer, the more sea turtles can be saved, the more a community can learn and the more the world becomes more sustainable.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Playa Icacos, Juluchuca, PetatlanState of GuerreroJuluchuca, 40834Mexico
January 15, 2022