Volunteer Run, Walk, or Hike Group Leader - Sober Active Community - San Antonio
Please visit the new page to apply.
The Phoenix is looking for volunteers to lead runs, walks, or hikes for our sober active community.Walking, hiking, and running events are how The Phoenix takes social gatherings on the go. We offer events such as dog walks, 5K runs, and mountain hikes, always having the intention of fun and connection in mind. All our walking, hiking, or running events are performed as a group and led by an instructor.
If you have an interest in any of these activities, have experience in recovery, live a sober lifestyle, have a strong passion and commitment to social justice and mental health, and want to help your community, we want to hear from you!
As a Volunteer Leader for Runs, Walks, or Hiking Groups, you:
- Have an interest and experience in any of these activities
- Depending on factors like terrain, elevation gain, distance - are CPR certified. We can provide support on paying for this if needed
- Lead 1 class every week/month, for 1-2 hours max. This depends on community needs and your availability
- Commit to long term volunteering, ideally 6+ months if possible
- Complete a 2-hour online training. This can be completed at your own pace (i.e. can be stopped and restarted)
- Do a background check. Recognizing that we come from different experiences, a record doesn’t automatically disqualify you from volunteering
- Are at least 18 years old
- Help spread the word and bring a friend or 2 to help drive attendance
Interested? Please visit www.thephoenix.org/volunteerto learn more and fill out the interest form!
About The Phoenix
2239 CHAMPA ST, DENVER, CO 80205, US
The Phoenix offers a free sober active community to individuals who have suffered from a substance use disorder and to those who choose a sober life. Using a peer support model, we help members heal and rebuild their lives while also striving to eliminate stigma around recovery.
The ultimate impact Phoenix seeks is to help individuals not only achieve sobriety, but to thrive in recovery. The Phoenix Model is unique because of its non-clinical approach that uses the power of human connection and positive coping mechanisms through physical activity to help people heal from the underlying causes of addiction.
Phoenix peer instructors use an experiential approach that leverages innate goal-setting association with engagement in physical activities while facilitating a positive and supportive experience, allowing team members to shed the defense mechanisms that have historically kept them isolated. By bringing people together, Phoenix creates a community where people can heal, obtain essential life skills, and practice effective social interaction. Research suggests facilitating physical activity, social connection and community are potent strategies for promoting health and healing from disease.
Multiple locations San Antonio, TX 78228
January 14, 2022
- Mental Health
- Spiritual Healing
- People Skills
- Outdoor Recreation
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 6 months if possible