DONATE TO THIS
2 people are interested
Red Cross Social Media Volunteer
Please visit the new page to apply.
DONATE TO THIS
2 people are interested
- Purpose This position supports the Regional Communications and Public Affairs department. This is a 100% virtual (volunteer-from-home) opportunity. Red Cross Digital Volunteers use their social media skill set to help maintain and amplify the Red Cross message, as well as help community members, on social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn. Digital Volunteers may be trained to help with tasks like social care, social monitoring and content creation, and they may be asked to post from personal or regional social media accounts.
- Monitoring for and engaging with any social media posts mentioning the region or the Red Cross
- Searching for and thanking financial and blood donors
- Replying to people who have Red Cross-related questions or who are looking for health and safety courses
- Creating social media content for regional accounts
- Alerting leadership to any negative posts
- Live-posting from Red Cross activities/events
- After advanced training, posting to regional social media accounts
Additional opportunities during a disaster response might include:
- Advancing messages regarding impending weather on social media channels
- Providing emotional support to followers during disasters
- Sharing information and correcting misinformation about Red Cross response
- Connecting people seeking help with proper community resources
- Identifying trends and reporting back to the social engagement team
- Creating disaster-related content for the regional social media accounts
- Time Commitment
Variable, based on projects. Estimated 5-10 hours a month.
- Reliable access to resources needed to volunteer 100% virtually
- Must be active on personal social media accounts
- Must be willing to make social media accounts public and share with Red Cross teams
- Regularly check email and have regular internet access
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency in using social media sites
- Knowledge of social media monitoring applications and tools such as Tweetdeck, Hootsuite and online forums.
- Length of Appointment
6 months - 1 year
- Development Opportunities
- Develop proficiency in Red Cross messaging across humanitarian and biomed services
- Become a liaison between the regional and NHQ social engagement teams during disasters
- Advance to become a member of the National Digital Volunteer program, which is activated during major national disasters.
- Master social media content management tools, like Social Studio, which are used by most brands and companies.
- Experience in developing and executing social media care strategies
- Creating content for branded social media accounts
- New Employee and Volunteer Orientation (NEVO)
- Public Affairs Essentials (Online)
- Fundamentals of Disaster Public Affairs, National Response (Online)
- Social Media Basics
- One-Take Video
- Red Cross Photography
- Psychological First Aid
About American Red Cross
1450 S Central Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90021, US
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
Every single day, the American Red Cross helps people in emergencies. Whether its one displaced family, thousands of disaster victims, or providing care and comfort to an ill or injured service member or veteran or support to a military family member, our vital work is made possible by people like you. It is through the time and care of ordinary people that we can do extraordinary things. Join a team of 4000+ regular volunteers in the Los Angeles Region to deliver services to local communities daily, weekly or monthly.
Multiple locations Los Angeles, CA 90021
January 14, 2022
- Disaster Relief Care & Shelters
- Safety & Disaster Education
- Disaster Response
- Social Media / Blogging
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 5-10 hours a month. 6 months to 1 year commitment and eligible for extension based on involvement.