6 people are interested
Become an Adult Literacy Volunteer
ORGANIZATION: San Jose Public Library
Please visit the new page to apply.
6 people are interested
Partner with an adult to build reading, writing, and technology skills by becoming a volunteer adult literacy tutor. Work with adults to meet their goals. You can also become a small class instructor.
- Gain professional development and training that can be applied in multiple job fields
- Meet great people from different cultures and places
- Develop a passion for lifelong learning and teaching others
- Have a positive impact on your community
- Be 18 or over
- Have a high school diploma or a GED
- Have an email address
- Commit to three hours a week for six months or more of tutoring an individual or 2 months or more for 1 hour a week to teach a small class
- Ability to speak, read, and write English well
- Have critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Comfortable with email and basic computer skills
- Ability to complete tutor reports
- Willingness to learn new skills and partner with your learner to design lessons
- Flexibility, patience, and a sense of humor
- Attend an orientation
- Attend training
- Pass a fingerprint clearance
- Show proof of vaccination for COVID-19, and if appropriate, a booster
About San Jose Public Library
150 E San Fernando Street, San Jose, CA 95112, US
San Jose Public Library enriches lives by fostering lifelong learning and by ensuring that every member of the community has access to a vast array of ideas and information. San Jose Public Library is a winner of the 2011 National Medal for Museum and Library Service, the nation’s highest honor for museums and libraries. Recipients are selected because of their innovative approaches to public service and the contribution they make to the educational, civic, cultural and economic development goals of their communities.
The Library Volunteer Program is committed to encouraging community participation and the comprehensive coordination of volunteers to enhance Library services.
3090 Alum Rock AvenueSan Jose, CA 95127
April 27, 2022
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Adult Education
- Reading / Writing
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Commit to at least 6 months for 1-1 tutoring and 2 months for small class instruction. After training 1-1 tutors meet twice a week online or in a public place for 90 minutes or more, and small class instructors meet once a week on Zoom for an hour.
- Pass a fingerprint clearance and provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination status. Register at www.sjpl.org/par-tutor.