1 person is interested
Socialize with shelter cats and small animals
Please visit the new page to apply.
1 person is interested
Volunteer Job Description: Continuing Care Cats & Small Animals
Summary and Organizational Impact: This volunteer is first responsible and receives credit for enriching the daily lives of the adoptable animals on the adoption floor, cat colony room, and any animals in the front lobby. Along with maintaining a clean, appealing environment for the animals and public. Secondly, the Continuing Care volunteer will support the Matchmaker volunteers & Animal Care staff in providing high-quality customer service which directly impact the animals’ adoption rate. This volunteer’s duties include keeping the cats’ condos clean, keeping the small animals’ enclosures clean, providing enrichment for them, and ensuring that visitors receive assistance for their needs.
Reports to: Animal Care Staff, Kennel Supervisors, and Volunteer & Outreach Coordinator
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensuring the condos and enclosures stay clean and sanitary.
- Assisting with laundry, washing dishes, and other housekeeping tasks.
- Greeting visitors, does not adoption counsel unless they are an approved Matchmaker.
- Providing enrichment.
- Ensuring that supplies in the multipurpose room are restocked for the next day.
- Deep cleaning immediately after an animal is moved out of the condo/enclosure.
- Closing shifts are in charge of making final rounds checking on the animals’ water, litterboxes, and taking out the trash.
- Must be at least 18 years old.
- Must be able to follow instructions.
- Once trained, must be able to carry out duties with minimal supervision from staff and/or other volunteers.
- Provide daily care, watering, and cleaning animal enclosures, for all animals in the adoption area.
- Effectively communicate observations and/or animal needs to staff using the Infirmary message board, or verbally in the event of an emergency.
- Able to stay calm in an emotionally charged environment with animals who sometimes have a variety of challenging behaviors.
- Able to accept constructive criticism and can be trusted to apply corrective measures when suggested by staff.
- Attendance to Volunteer Orientation.
- Complete Training Checklist with a designated trainer.
- Prefer a weekly commitment.
- Those who are unable to commit to a weekly shift will be able to pick up vacant shifts as they become available.
11:00 AM to 05:00 AM
Shifts are every 2 hours from 11-5
- NONE OF THESE TIMES WORK FOR ME, BUT I CAN STILL HELP
About The Norfolk Animal Care Center
5585 Sabre Road, Norfolk, VA 23502, US
Our commitment is to humanely care for stray, unwanted, sick, injured and abandoned animals in the City of Norfolk. It is our intention to provide services of superior quality and to be responsive to the changing needs of the community.
The Norfolk Animal Care Center is the municipal animal shelter for the city of Norfolk, Virginia. We accept stray and owner-relinquished animals, as well as animals that have been resuced by Animal Control due to neglect and/or abuse.
5585 Sabre RoadNorfolk, VA 23502
January 13, 2022
- Animal Care / Handling
- Must be at least 18