1 person is interested
Communications and Development Volunteer
Please visit the new page to apply.
1 person is interested
Support the Director of Development in areas of marketing and communications. Primary tasks include:
- Make updates to organization's websites.
- Provide assistance to Social Media Manager.
- Provide assistance with crafting marketing materials.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Esperanza Community Housing Corporation
3655 S. Grand Ave., Suite 280, LOS ANGELES, CA 90007, US
Esperanza Community Housing Corporation is a social justice non-profit in South Central Los Angeles that achieves long-term, comprehensive community development. We recognize that Indigenous, Black, and Latino immigrant communities are disproportionately impacted by historical oppression, health disparities, disinvestment, and displacement. Therefore, we develop and preserve affordable housing; elevate health equity and access to care; mobilize for environmental justice; create and protect local economic opportunities; expand engagement in arts and culture; and advocate for policies protecting human rights. Esperanza works collaboratively to strengthen South Los Angeles. In all of our actions, Esperanza builds hope with the community.
Esperanza Community Housing Corporation (Esperanza) was founded in 1989 out of a successful community organizing campaign to prevent the displacement and housing vulnerability of tenants from six adjacent subdivided homes in South Central Los Angeles. The effort led to the development of our flagship affordable housing project, Villa Esperanza Apartments - 33 multi-bedroom units for large families, a community center, and an on-site child care program. Esperanza has since grown into a nationally recognized and multi-faceted social justice organization impacting tens of thousands of people each year. Esperanza provides a comprehensive approach to community development and neighborhood revitalization for low-income families of color living in South Los Angeles. By partnering with the community to build healthy neighborhoods, Esperanza’s work has been impactful in advancing the health, dignity, and human rights of South L.A. through our core programs:
- Affordable Housing - Preventing homelessness and displacement in South L.A., our 9 multi-family residential properties totaling 165 quality, safe apartment units offer security and shelter to over 550 low-income tenants. Esperanza believes that access to safe, quality affordable housing is a fundamental human right.
- Health Equity and Access to Care - Promoting a broad culture of wellness, Esperanza educates and supports the empowerment of community members to improve health and increase access to care. The Promotores de Salud (Community Health Promoters) Leadership Training Program has trained and cultivated 510 Promotores to provide culturally accessible health education, primary prevention, and advocacy to families and children. The Training Program is the framework for the rest of Esperanza’s programs at the intersection of health and housing.
- Economic Development - The Mercado La Paloma is an inclusive, equitable economic development project that creatively integrates food, community, education, arts and culture. The Mercado provides growth opportunities and financial stability to small, family-owned businesses, thereby helping stimulate the local economy.
- Arts and Culture - Promoting involvement in the arts and increasing community engagement, our programming celebrates South L.A.’s rich heritage and vibrant traditions through art exhibits, art workshops, artistic performances, dance classes, and large arts and cultural festivals.
- Environmental Justice - Ensuring families are safe from toxins in their homes and neighborhoods, Esperanza advocates for public policy through a human rights and environmental justice framework.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
January 13, 2022
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2-3 hours per week for 3-6 months