2 people are interested
DFW Metro NAACP Economic Opportunity Team/Committee
ORGANIZATION: DFW Metro NAACP
Please visit the new page to apply.
2 people are interested
The Committee on Economic Development shall implement local efforts and support national programs to preserve and expand economic empowerment among African-Americans and other communities of color by: (1) researching and establishing relationships with private and public entities; (2) supporting the work of the National Office in monitoring the progress and activity of private and public entities designated by national programs; and (3) implementing local efforts to promote the growth of business ownership; (4) increasing employment and job creation; and (5) encouraging business development and home ownership.
Objective: To initiate a black economic agenda to guide our advocacy efforts and deliver tangible outcomes for our regional African American community.
Rationale: Through focused goals, the committee wants to establish the appropriate pathway for management on various issues and coordinate efforts within and outside the organization to advance policy, processes, programs, and accountability that generates an opportunity for our community.
We identified the 3 categories listed below to guide our primary focus moving forward.
- - Reducing disparities that exist in minority contracting levels of public sector agencies.
- - Leverage infrastructure and revitalization projects for Job creation and enterprise growth for African Americans.
- - Bridging the gap of access to capital for African American business owners.
- There is much work to do and we are looking for people with the skill sets in the area of Economic Development on this committee.
- We need members with passion and commitment to collaborate and help identify support areas with the various stakeholder organizations.
About DFW Metro NAACP
P.O.Box 121, Coppell, TX 75019, US
Ensure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of all citizens. Achieve equality of rights and eliminate race prejudice among the citizens of the United States. Remove all barriers of racial discrimination through democratic processes.
We are the home of grassroots activism for civil rights and social justice. Our branch also prioritizes volunteering to make a difference and impact on our local community.
A few examples of our 2020-2021 Impact:
2020 We executed a mass canvassing campaign and put out 20,000 Voter Registration Cards at local apartments and senior citizen communities.
2020 we had our first annual Back Pack and School Supply Drive that benefited local students at several Title I Schools.
2021 participated in a local Juneteenth Celebration at Music City Mall. We did Voter Registration and Membership Drive during this event.
2021 partnered with a local church for a Back to School Fair which included: Free Box Fan Give Away, Free School Supplies & Back-Packs, Free Food, Entertainment, Voter Registration, and other free items were distributed.
2021 partnered with 2 local organizations to distribute essential baskets filled with personal hygiene items, household goods, etc. Over 700 baskets were distributed in 2021 to support families at local Title I Schools.
We have presented several Virtual Forums to Educate and provide valuable resources to our community and beyond, such as: Understanding the 2021 Texas Constitutional Amendments on the Ballot, "Break the Chains of Bad Credit & Financial Bondage", Rent & Eviction Relief Forum, Forum on Texas Re-Districting, Election Law, and many more.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
December 29, 2022
- During the Joint Team Mtg, you will join the Economic Opportunity Team Breakout Room. During that monthly meeting you will hear various volunteer opportunities. You will get to fully engage and participate by also giving your input, suggestions, etc
- You are welcome to volunteer whenever your time permits! But, at the minimum you would definitely want to tune in to the monthly Joint Team/Committee Meeting! This is when the Economic Opportunity Team meets. And we have our monthly general meeting.