Court Appointed Special Advocate for Children--Volunteer Guardian ad Litem
275 people are interested
A volunteer guardian ad litem -- referred to as a Court Appointed Special Advocate or CASA volunteer in some states -- is an everyday citizen who is appointed by a judge to advocate for the best interests of abused or neglected children during their time in the child welfare system. You not only help change the course of lives, you also help create a safer, friendlier and healtheir community for years to come.
The Fourth Judicial District provides this service with a combination of paid staff and more than 250 specially-trained community volunteers. On any given day, guardians ad litem represent the best interests of some 2,500 vulnerable children involved in the court system through no fault of their own.
Different from a legal guardian, the Guardian ad Litem has no control over the person or property of the child and does not provide a home for the child. The Guardian ad Litem does not function as the child's attorney and does not provide direct services to the child.
- Willing to participate in 40 hours of pre-service training (day or night training available).
- Have a current driver's license and access to reliable transportation.
- Live within 30 miles of the Juvenile Justice Center in downtown Minneapolis.
- Pass a background check (no convictions for an offense against children or domestic assault; no finding of child maltreatment)
PLEASE NOTE: This volunteer opportunity is for children involved in Juvenile Court only. Children involved in divorce or custody cases are served by a Family Court Guardian ad Litem. For more information about guardians ad litem in Hennepin County Family Court, visit their webpage.
We'll work with your schedule.
Guardian ad Litem ProgramHennepin County Juvenile Court (4th District)590 Park Avenue MC L878Minneapolis, MN 55415
- Child Advocacy
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- After 40 hour training, 5-7 hours per month
- Have access to a computer and email account.