GROCERY SHOP and/or READ MAIL w/ elderly, blind neighbor in DORCHESTER!
Please visit the new page to apply.
The Massachusetts Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired (MABVI) is seeking volunteers who are interested in a relationship-building and task-oriented role! Do you enjoy making a connection with someone in your community? Do you want to make a positive impact in the life of a neighbor in need?
Join a team of over 200 volunteers across the state that helps create a difference in the blind and low vision community!
This MABVI participant would like a male volunteer to go grocery shopping and/or help read mail in Dorchester, MA! A car is needed for this weekly volunteer role. They prefer that their volunteer is up-to-date on their COVID vaccinations. They would like a volunteer who has either Tuesday, Thursday, or Saturday morning availability.
As a MABVI Volunteer, you may help with tasks such as:
- Reading mail
- Paying bills
- Internet Use/Technology
- Medical Transportation
- Going grocery shopping
- Running errands in the community
- Recreational activities such as being a running/walking sighted guide
- Other Clerical tasks
The Volunteer Onboarding Process Includes:
1. Complete a MABVI Volunteer Form (A MABVI staff member will email you the link to the MABVI Volunteer Form directly. Please note that this form is different than the initial VolunteerMatch inquiry!)
2. Completing the online, modular MABVI Volunteer Training
3. Schedule a time to chat via Zoom with a member of the MABVI Volunteer Team/Submit a CORI
4. Meet the MABVI Volunteer Team via Zoom or phone call
5. MABVI matches you with a MABVI participant!
About Massachusetts Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired
200 Ivy Street, Brookline, MA 02446, US
Established in 1903, the Massachusetts Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired (MABVI) is the oldest program in the country providing services to adults with vision loss. Helen Keller served on our first advisory board. MABVI is dedicated to empowering individuals to live with dignity. We provide access to a full range of sight loss services and help reduce fears and isolation caused by vision loss. With offices in Brookline and Worcester, we serve more than 7,000 blind and visually impaired individuals every year. MABVI is a program of MAB Community Services.
Massachusetts Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired offers a number of services.
In our COMMUNITY VOLUNTEER PROGRAM, volunteers work one-to-one with visually impaired adults in their community, assisting with reading or shopping.
In each of our 35 peer-led SUPPORT GROUPS, individuals gather to share challenges and resources.
Elders with low vision can work with one of our VISION REHABILITATION SPECIALISTS to learn strategies for living with limited or no vision. Special focus on reading and writing, magnification, lighting, diabetes management, home safety and daily activities.
Multiple locations Dorchester, MA 02121
January 27, 2023
- Elder care
- Administrative Support
- Community Outreach
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Food Delivery / Distribution
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- This opportunity is flexible based on your match's needs. Although, volunteers typically devote 1-2 hours a week or every other week.
- Volunteers under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. A Driver's License and auto insurance is needed if the volunteer uses their car to perform tasks such as grocery shopping or to run errands in the community.