Mentorship Program Peer Mentor - Volunteer
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Girls Are Powerful
Girls Are Powerful (GRP) is launching its Mentor Program, which will bring together girls ages 8-17 of all races, cultures, and lived experiences to discover and embrace their identities and use their power to positively impact their communities. This program will connect groups of girls with Peer Mentors and Adult Mentors, who will guide participants through a three-year curriculum within a safe environment for sharing and growth. GRP will launch the program virtually in the fall of 2022.
Peer Mentors are high school or college-aged students aged 16-23 who are interested in sharing their own lived experiences with younger girls and serving as a role model in their community. As Peer Mentors, they will be paired with an adult woman mentor to facilitate virtual mentorship sessions for groups of girls ages 8-11.
Peer Mentors are committed to working alongside their Adult Mentor to create a welcoming environment for their group of mentees using Girls Are Powerful principles. Peer Mentors will help guide their girls in acquiring and applying the knowledge, skills, and attitudes to discover their differences, acknowledge their essence, build their esteem, embrace their power, and establish and maintain supportive relationships.
Peer Mentors have a demonstrated commitment to social and racial justice, an understanding of the societal challenges that many are facing and experience working with people of different backgrounds.
Time Commitment: 10-12 hours per month
- Able to commit to one year of participation with a time commitment of approximately 2-4 hours/week, including:
- Recurring training with other Adult Mentors and Peer Mentors (timing TBD)
- Attendance at Girls Are Powerful events (dates pending)
- 16-20 weeks of biweekly mentorship sessions total (timing TBD)
- Ages 18+ must pass a background check
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Facilitate mentorship meetings alongside Adult Mentor in a virtual setting
- Ensure accurate and engaging delivery of curriculum learned in training
- Collaborate with Adult Mentor to plan lessons
- Help build rapport each time group meets and encourage positive relationship building
- Offer opportunities to problem solve and exchange ideas
- Advocate for individual and group needs of participants and ensure safe space for all
- Provide a model for healthy, trusting relationships through clear communication and setting of appropriate boundaries
- Provide feedback and think through potential curriculum adjustments based on reactions of participants in pilot program
- Adhere to Girls Are Powerful Volunteer Code of Conduct
Preferred Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
It is expected that the candidate for this position has all or most of the following:
- Ability to demonstrate empathy and compassion
- Strong collaboration, critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Strong relationship building and interpersonal skills, including active listening and offering support and encouragement when appropriate
- Ability to work digitally; access to personal laptop/phone
- Proficiency in Google Apps and Zoom
All candidates should possess a desire and commitment to empower and encourage the next generation of girls. We look to our volunteers to provide leadership, vision, and direction to Girls Are Powerful to ensure the organization meets the needs of the participants, volunteers and community with an emphasis on diversity and inclusion.
Availability: If you are interested in this position, please forward your letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
Saint Paul, MN 55128
January 9, 2022
- Human Resources Diversity
- WEEKDAYS, FEW_HOURS_MONTH