Mentor Program Adult Mentor - Volunteer
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Girls Are Powerful
Mentor Program Adult Mentor - Volunteer
Girls Are Powerful (GRP) is launching its Mentor Program, which will bring together girls ages 8-17 of all races, cultures, and lived experiences to discover and embrace their identities and use their power to positively impact their communities. This program will connect groups of girls with Peer Mentors and Adult Mentors, who will guide participants through a three-year curriculum within a safe environment for sharing and growth. GRP will launch the program virtually in the fall of 2022.
Adult Mentors are women in the community 24+ who are interested in sharing their own lived experiences, professional background, and interests to create long-lasting relationships with their assigned Peer Mentor and group of 6-8 mentees.
After being trained in on the program curriculum, Adult Mentors and their Peer Mentor partner will be responsible for guiding their group of mentees through the curriculum and facilitating group discussions. The Adult Mentor is responsible for creating a welcoming environment for all participants; providing structure, resources and support to the group and individuals; and one-on-one mentoring with their Peer Mentor. Adult Mentors will also assist the GRP team with program reporting and review processes.
Adult Mentors have a demonstrated commitment to social and racial justice, an understanding of the societal challenges that many are facing and experience working with people of different backgrounds.
Time Commitment: 10-15 hours per month, 1 Year Commitment* with option to renew
- Must complete and pass a background check
- Able to commit to one year of participation with a time commitment of approximately 2-4 hours/week, including:
- Recurring training with other Adult Mentors and Peer Mentors (timing TBD)
- Attendance at Girls Are Powerful events (dates pending)
- 16-20 weeks of biweekly mentorship sessions total (2022 timing TBD)
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Facilitate biweekly Mentor Program Meetings alongside Peer Mentor in a virtual setting
- Ensure accurate and engaging delivery of curriculum learned in training
- Collaborate with Peer Mentor to lesson plan
- Serve as a resource and mentor to the Peer Mentor, guiding and advising them through the program
- Advocate for individual and group needs of participants to ensure a welcoming and inclusive environment
- Advocate for GRP during events and other public activities
- Provide a model for healthy, trusting relationships through clear communication and setting of appropriate boundaries
- Possess a desire and a commitment to empower and encourage the lives of young women and girls
- Provide leadership, vision and feedback to Girls Are Powerful to ensure the organization meets the needs of the participants and the community
- Model behavior that is grounded in integrity, credibility and a passion for improving the lives of women and girls
Preferred Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
It is expected that the candidate for this position has all or most of the following:
- Ability to actively moderate and facilitate interactive learning and open conversations
- Ability to recognize group dynamics and conversations that threaten safety of space for participants and ability to step in and mediate when necessary
- Experience working with youth and/or youth organizations
- Strong leadership, critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Strong relationship building and interpersonal skills, including active listening and ability to offer support and encouragement when appropriate
- Ability to work digitally; access to personal laptop/phone
- Proficiency in Google Apps and Zoom
All candidates should possess a desire and commitment to empower and encourage the next generation of girls. We look to our volunteers to provide leadership, vision, and direction to Girls Are Powerful to ensure the organization meets the needs of the participants, volunteers and community with an emphasis on diversity and inclusion.
If you are interested in this position, please forward your letter of interest and resume to email@example.com.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
P.O. Box 280462St. Paul, MN 55128
January 9, 2022
- Human Resources Diversity
- WEEKDAYS, FEW_HOURS_MONTH