Leader In Training
ORGANIZATION: True Friends
Please visit the new page to apply.
Calling all extraordinary humans! True Friends is looking for all stars like you to help provide our campers with positive life changing experiences this summer. Trade classrooms for campfires as you make life-long friends while making a real difference in an electrifying community of campers of all ability levels.
This position is part of the Youth Leadership Program and is designed as an entry level position for youth with limited or no experience working with people with disabilities. You will spend one part of your day working with your assigned cabin and the other portion of your day with other LITs doing team building activities, developing leadership skills, and learning more about the community we serve.
This is a week-long, overnight position for youth that are at least 14 years old. LITs are to report to camp at 4pm on the Saturday before the first day of their chosen session. Meals and lodging are provided.
- June 24-30
- July 15-21
- July 29 - August 4
As a Leader in Training you will:
- Participate in the Youth Leadership Program while at camp
- Be assigned to a specific cabin to help when not participating in the Youth Leadership Program
- Gain valuable leadership and job skills, participate in fun team building activities, and learn more about the disability community
- Help campers with tasks such as packing/unpacking, applying bug spray/sunscreen, or minor activities of daily living (putting on shoes or a jacket, braiding hair, etc.)
- Help during mealtimes by serving meals, getting drinks, setting the tables, etc.
- Have fun engaging in activities with campers
- Engage campers in cabin activities such as puzzles, board games, etc. during free time
- Help keep the cabin and activity areas tidy
- Assist with any other tasks as assigned
- Report any safety issues or personal concerns to the Program Manager
- Be supervised overnight if you are a minor volunteer
- Dress and act appropriately and maintain a safe atmosphere as outlined in your Volunteer Handbook
- Complete a self-evaluation and receive an evaluation from program staff at the end of your experience
You should apply if you are...
- Age 14 or older
- Able to commit to volunteering for at least one week-long camp session
- Comfortable staying overnight and on the camp property for the length of the session
- Willing to step out of your comfort zone
- Happy to live and work in a communal setting during your stay at camp
- Able to be flexible to adapt to an ever-changing environment
- Able to perform duties that may involve a variety of physical challenges or circumstances (training is provided). These may include:
- Extreme heat
- High decibel sounds
- Exertion such as walking, lifting, crouching, or sitting for a lengthy amount of time
- Physical aggression from campers with challenging behaviors
- Willing to acknowledge that you may be exposed to hazardous substances or harmful physical agents during the normal course of your work assignment. You will be trained to help prevent injury or illness. These substances/agents may include:
- Cleaning materials (MSDS sheets available at each site)
- Chemical agents from bug spray, sunscreen, etc.
- Outdoor allergens such as poison ivy, pollen, insect bites, etc.
- Gasoline or exhaust fumes from vehicles
- Blood or other bodily fluids
About True Friends
10509 108th Street NW, Annandale, MN 55302, US
Provide life-changing experiences that enhance independence and self-esteem for children and adults with disabilities.
True Friends provides life changing opportunities for youth and adults with disabilities and high medical needs to reach their true potential. Through camp, respite, travel and other program opportunities, participants learn new skills and build their feelings of self-worth. Staff provide care, encouragement, supervision and learning opportunities to participants.
Camp Courage, Maple Lake MN
Camp Friendship, Annandale MN
Camp Courage North, Lake George MN (near Bemidji)
Camp Eden Wood, Eden Prairie MN
10509 108th Street NWCamp FriendshipAnnandale, MN 55302
December 16, 2022
- Outdoor Recreation
- Special Needs
- Background Check
- Must be at least 14
- Orientation or Training
- at least one week