Crisis Chat/Text Counselor - Start in Mar. 2022!
Please visit the new page to apply.
Join our next training class starting in March 2022! Our Suicide Prevention Center needs your help to staff its 24/7 Crisis Line as a volunteer Crisis Counselor! This role is one of the most intensely rewarding ways to contribute to your community while helping to erase the stigma around suicide and mental health. Many of our volunteers are pursuing careers in the mental health field or considering a career change before applying to graduate school, while others are looking for something meaningful to do in their spare time. Some have been touched by suicide, and others just want to help people in crisis.
- Must be age 18 or older and located in Los Angeles or surrounding counties (Orange, San Bernardino, Riverside, or Ventura) with the ability to travel to our Century City office
- Basic computer competency and fluency in English required
- Ability to attend the 6-week online training and satisfy all training requirements described below
- Ability to commit to one weekly 4-hour shift on the Crisis Line for 12 months
No prior experience in mental health is needed. Due to the nature of our work, we do encourage applicants who have experienced suicide firsthand or through a loved one to seek support first before applying.
Training Requirements: During the COVID-19 pandemic, all training is held online via Zoom and a working camera + microphone are required for all training dates. Our training is time-intensive in order to ensure that our volunteers are ready to serve on the Crisis Line! Trainees are expected to complete all of the following:
- Crisis Line Training : Occurs twice a week for 6 consecutive weeks on Tuesday and Thursday evenings (6-9pm). Trainees learn to facilitate crisis calls, chats, and texts through evidence-based approaches to suicide prevention and role-playing.
- DDH : An 8-10 hour online training for the Disaster Distress Helpline that is completed on the trainee’s own time.
- ASIST : Attendance at a 2-day suicide first aid workshop will be required at a later date (TBD).
Volunteer Commitment: Trainees who successfully pass all training requirements are asked to commit to one weekly 4-hour shift on the Crisis Line for a minimum of 12 months where they take either phone calls or chats/texts. Chat/Text Counselors take shifts between 12:30pm-10:30pm PST only and phone Counselors take shifts between 8:30am-12:30am. Shift availability fluctuates based on the needs of the Crisis Line. All trainees go through an "apprenticeship" period during their first 3 months on the lines where they are closely monitored and given substantial support.
Application Process: Training cycles are held frequently throughout the year. Please click "I want to help!" and o ur team will send you application materials and begin the screening process, which includes an initial phone interview and group interview prior to acceptance into the training class. Please note that as this is a competitive volunteership with limited training space, we are unfortunately unable to accept every applicant.
About Didi Hirsch Suicide Prevention Center
10277 West Olympic Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90067, US
Didi Hirsch transforms lives by providing quality mental health and substance abuse services in communities where stigma or poverty limit access.
Under the Didi Hirsch banner, our Suicide Prevention Center is the nation’s first and an international leader in training, research and crisis services. Didi Hirsch Mental Health Services has provided free mental health, substance use disorder and suicide prevention services since 1942. Dedicated to serving communities where stigma or poverty limits access, Didi Hirsch helps more than 150,000 children and adults from 10 locations and 100 schools throughout Los Angeles and Orange counties each year.
Suicide Prevention CenterCentury City, CA 90067
January 26, 2022
- Bereavement Support
- Counseling / Mental Health
- Crisis Counseling
- Community Outreach
- People Skills
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Commit to the same 4-hr shift per week for at least 12 months.
- Empathy, good listening skills, comfortable using computer technology