Children in need of a mentor
ORGANIZATION: Walk With Sally
Please visit the new page to apply.
Reports to: Case Manager
Works with: One child/teen between ages 7-17
Description of Role:
Cancer changes everything for the family. The children enrolled in our program would like support from a mentor during hard times. No prior experience is needed however we ask that you enjoy interacting with children from diverse backgrounds. Walk With Sally is dedicated to providing hope through our individualized mentoring and community building services to empower children experiencing trauma through a parent, guardians, relative, sibling's cancer journey. No one should face a loved one's cancer alone.
- Commit to the program and assigned mentee for a minimum of 1 year
- Engage mentee in positive, creative, and/or community building activities for at least 6-8 hours per month (We also suggest free of cost activities for you to fulfill this requirement)
- Participate quarterly in a mentor roundtables to connect with other mentors and build community
- Maintain regular contact with assigned Case Manager for further support, guidance, and/or access to resources
- Have fun, be you, and take of yourself too
- 22 years of age or older
- Have lived with or lost a parent / sibling/ friend/ loved one to cancer or are a cancer survivor (must be in remission for 5 years)
- Successfully pass background check
- Negative TB test result
- We provide a one time- 2 hour virtual (Zoom) mentor training and provide ongoing support as needed. Ask us for our next training date!
- Child Abuse Mandated Reporter online training for volunteers
The location listed above is not exactly where you will be volunteering. We have children on our waitlist all over the Greater Los Angeles area and create listing for volunteers near where we have children in need of a mentor.
Please feel free to check out our website at www.walkwithsally.org and Apply Today!
Thank you for you time.
About Walk With Sally
840 Apollo Street, Suite 324, El Segundo, CA 90245, US
Walk With Sally provides hope through our individualized mentoring and community support services to empower children experiencing trauma through a parent, guardian or sibling's cancer journey.
Walk With Sally believes no child should walk alone in the face of a loved one's cancer journey. Because we don't want cancer to define or limit children for the rest of their lives, we create hope, healing and a supportive community through individualized mentoring, which transforms the lives not only of the children, but also of the families impacted by cancer.
Multiple locations Harbor City, CA 90710
January 24, 2023
- Youth Services
- Crisis Intervention
- People Skills
- Relationship Building
- Outdoor Recreation
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 22
- Orientation or Training
- 6-8 hours per month for a minimum of 1 year
- Volunteers must have lived with or lost a parent or sibling to cancer; or be a survivor themselves