Food Resource Navigator
Please visit the new page to apply.
To increase community members’ ability to age in place through socialization, access to food resources and medical appointments.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide nutrition support to community members per their individualized plan
- Examples: assistance accessing food pantries, congregate meals, grocery stores
- Complete intake questionnaire with community members
- Coordinator all visits through the Volunteer Coordinator
- Immediately report incidences, accidents, or concerns to the Volunteer Coordinator
- People with disabilities, people with lower income, older adults, veterans
- 12 hours of service annually
- Be punctual and dependable
- Flexibility and patience
- Valid driver’s license and insurance if driving
- Supplemental accident and liability insurance
- Mileage reimbursement
- Decreased anxiety, depression, loneliness
- Connect with others
- See impact of your service
- 5-hour virtual orientation and training
- Additional training provided as needed
The position of Food Resource Navigator requires a rigorous level of screening that corresponds to the risk associated with volunteers who work unsupervised.
Volunteers will provide and/or complete:
- Background Checks
Infectious disease safety
All volunteers and community members will be required to wear a mask while involved in HIRTA’s RSVP
About Heart of Iowa Regional Transit Agency (HIRTA)
2824 104th St, Urbandale, IA 50322, US
Our Mission: Provide customer-focused community transportation with a commitment to excellence in safety and service promoting independent lifestyles for central Iowa residents. Our Vision: To become the transit provider of choice making a positive difference by enhancing community livability through safe, innovative, sustainable regional transportation options and promoting independent lifestyles for central Iowa residents.
In 1981, the Heart of Iowa Regional Transit Agency (HIRTA) was formed under a 28E agreement with the 7 counties in central Iowa. Region 11, better known as HIRTA, was established to provide public transit services in the counties of Boone, Dallas, Jasper, Madison, Marion, Story and Warren. At that time, HIRTA was setup to contract all transit services to other agencies and only had 2 employees. In 2011, things began to change and HIRTA started providing transit service in-house in Jasper County. Over the next several years, HIRTA began operating services directly in more counties within the region.
HIRTA strives to make a positive impact on our communities. As a part of HIRTA's commitment to creating opportunities for community investment, we welcome volunteers in a variety of roles. We will actively recruit volunteers and match them with people in need. Our volunteer programs closely align with HIRTA's mission and vision to promote independent lifestyles for central Iowa residents.
HIRTA is a AmeriCorps Seniors grantee for RSVP in Madison and Marion counties where we will provide medical transportation, food support, and companionship. Our goal is to ensure there is a volunteer driver program in each of our seven counties. We have partnered with Boone County RSVP and United Way of Central Iowa to provide volunteer drivers in Boone, Dallas, and Warren county. Services will be provided to older adults, people with disabilities, people with lower income, and veterans.
Multiple locations Winterset, IA 50273
January 5, 2022
- Critical Thinking
- People Skills
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- 12 hours annually
- Masks are required and provided