Chief Legal Officer
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: School Group
About School Group
School Group (SG) is a start-up international non-profit developing a cutting-edge global e-learning platform that will allow students around the world to connect for peer-to-peer collaborative learning and skills development -- improving the accessibility and quality of education, while transforming lives and impacting future success. We need talented people to help us make our vision a reality. So, if you believe in the power of education, international development and community service -- and have the time, skills and know-how to match -- we want you as a School Group volunteer.
Chief Legal Officer (CLCO) oversees all legal activities for SG. This executive leader is responsible to ensure SG is compliant with all applicable laws specific to the NPO, employment, education, international and domestic business process laws. This role requires collaboration with other members of SG Executive Management on legal matters. The CLO is responsible for leading the compliance for SG. This may be extended to lobbying in favor of SG.
- Establish and direct the strategic long-term goals, policies, and procedures to guide SG legal and compliance functions.
- Actively participate in applicable executive management forums.
- Develop and implement a risk management strategy for SG through contracts and litigation strategies.
- Serve as a member of the senior leadership team, engaged on business/governance committees as a trusted advisor on compliance programs and recommend management actions and report on change progress
- Participate in Business Functions Alignment sessions to report out on key compliance initiatives while staying abreast of developments from the other functions impacting the business
- Supervise and directly provide legal support for all regulatory, policy, litigation, and legislative matters at the Federal and State level as well as International norms.
- Manage participation in regulatory rulemaking and litigation including review and drafting of pleadings and strategy; defend SG in any legal proceedings.
- Ensure SG contracts and agreements follow policy and legal guidelines approving them as to form and legality in accordance with the set practices in place.
- Work closely with executives and various legal staff to enhance and/or develop, implement and enforce policies and procedures that will improve overall operations and effectiveness.
- Maintain excellent relationships with Attorney General, external counsel, financial services regulators, and other external financial entities in order to ensure effective communication of critical issues in a timely manner.
- Engage and direct outside counsel to undertake specific and complex work requiring application of highly specialized knowledge.
- Oversee educational fraud and security investigations, and the determination of appropriate legal action to be taken.
- Maintain the requisite knowledge of current trends and technical issues impacting the professional practice of law and areas of compliance and regulatory responsibilities. Ensure the knowledge is extended to legal staff.
- Identify continuing opportunities for value-added improvements. Develop and implement new techniques, methods, and practices to improve effectiveness and efficiency.
- Responsible for leading the Compliance team supporting the state insurance compliance and licensing needs of SG and its subsidiaries
- Implement a proactive compliance program that detects, prevents, and responds to violations of law
- Evaluate new strategic initiatives and work with senior management on project implementation to ensure alignment with regulations and policies
- Set and consult on compliance strategies, goals, and objectives to maintain the distinguished reputation of SG
- Manage all aspects of assigned risk and compliance functions including developing and implementing policies, procedures and controls in line with local legal and regulatory requirements and in coordination with company policy
- Review new and existing legislation and regulatory developments and concerns in the industry; identify the implications and recommend suitable initiatives and responses for SG
- Maintain an in-depth understanding of key regulatory risks to the company, such as rebating, referral fees, client and carrier compensation, surplus lines and licensing
- Direct and manage staff responsible for ensuring company activities are in compliance with all regulatory requirements
- Manage compliance for surplus lines tax payments to various state and municipal regulators throughout the U.S. and Internationally.
Supervision/Evaluation/Development of Staff
- Recruit, train and develop a high performing, high quality legal organization.
- Ensure the Legal Division is appropriately staffed with qualified individuals and that staff are sensitized to the need for working effectively within the organization with respect to guiding, advising and serving as a business partner.
- Provide on-going guidance, mentoring, feedback, professional development, and motivation to a staff to ensure competent performance while adhering to SG policies and procedures.
- Continually look for ways to improve team’s performance by identifying and implementing work efficiencies through process improvement techniques and employee empowerment techniques.
- Recommend and/or make decisions in personnel related matters (performance review, disciplinary actions, and terminations).
- Other duties as assigned.
Every effort has been made to identify the essential functions of this position. However, this position description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties you may be required to perform. The omission of specific descriptions of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or can be considered essential to this position.
- Add positions consulted for this role, both internal and external. Also include direct reports, if any, and level of supervision.
- Strong knowledge about law in general and those governing nonprofit organizations
- Strong decision making and analytical skills
- Excellent observation skills
- Ability to think out of the box in order to solve legal complications
- Master’s in law with a minimum of ten years' experience in handling responsibilities similar to those mentioned above is essential.
- Excellent negotiation and communication skills
Why volunteer with us?
We are a community of people from different parts of the world who share a common belief in improving education which will eventually reduce poverty and improve the quality of life and living conditions globally. Volunteering with us will enable you to build your resume and gain invaluable experience in a supportive environment.
- In the USA, School Group is a Certifying Organization, offering the President’s Volunteer Service Award (PVSA) to eligible volunteers.
- School Group will provide a letter of recommendation to all volunteers who are able to showcase outstanding performance for professional references.
This is a volunteer position. There will be no financial compensation. Our organization is 100% volunteer-run. We welcome volunteers located anywhere in the world, as long as they can connect reliably to the internet.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
.Austin, TX 73301
January 5, 2022