Board Member for Gateway Public Schools
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Gateway Public Schools
Gateway Public Schools, which includes Gateway High School and Gateway Middle School, is seeking volunteer board members. Gateway Public Schools is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.
Gateway Public Schools’ mission is to prepare a broad range of learners for success in college and beyond. As model public charter schools, we are committed to serving a student body that reflects the diversity of San Francisco including a special emphasis on students with diagnosed learning disabilities, and helping each and every one of our students get into college and thrive. We believe that all students are capable of learning at high levels when schools pair high expectations and a school-wide understanding that students learn differently. At Gateway, we combine a rigorous academic program with an approach where the individual talents, strengths, and needs of our learners are identified and supported.
In addition to providing a high quality public education to our students, we seek to accomplish two important broader goals:
- By ensuring that each of our students (more than 75% of whom are students of color, more than 40% are first-generation college-bound, and more than 25% have diagnosed learning disabilities) have post-secondary opportunities, we hope to help change the demographics of the college-bound population in San Francisco;
- By serving as model public schools, we hope to demonstrate that public education can and does work for diverse learners, share our best practices, and, as such, serve as a change agent within the public sphere.
Please visit our website to learn more about our mission, history and students.
Why Join Gateway's Board?
Our community needs compassionate advocates for high quality public education in San Francisco. We need you to fulfill Gateway's vision of unlocking student potential, supporting expert teaching, and partnering with the community. We hope you choose Gateway Public Schools as the organization to which you dedicate your time, treasure, energy and expertise.
The Role of Our Board:
The Board of Trustees is the governing body for Gateway Public Schools. There is only one board for both Gateway High and Gateway Middle, and the team works on behalf of both schools. The Board of Trustees has 3 primary responsibilities:
- Safeguarding Gateway's mission as short and long-term strategic plans are developed
- Ensuring the financial health of Gateway, including raising $2M to cover expenses beyond State and federal funding
- Hiring, setting objectives for and evaluating the Executive Director of Gateway Public Schools
Top Reasons to join our board
- Giving Back: All students deserve a high quality public education and we are committed to closing the opportunity gap. As a trustee, you can improve the educational outcomes for Gateway's 800 students. You can make a direct impact.
- Leadership: Bring your experience to Gateway's Board of Trustees, while also developing new leadership skills and expertise. We are better together.
- Fulfillment: Trustees experience joy and satisfaction through their board service when they are engaged in student and teacher success, our schools and classrooms, and Gateway's mission.
Your Commitment to Gateway We ask that our trustees give their time, energy, expertise and treasure.
- Minimum of 4-6 hours per month
- Attend monthly board meetings (Sept-May)
- Attend Gateway's annual events
- Respond to board communications in a timely manner
- Introduce your personal and professional networks to Gateway
- Be an ambassador for Gateway, championing our work in the community
- Serve on at least one board committee
- Share your experience and skills with the board and Gateway
- Over time, take a leadership role on committees
- Make Gateway Public Schools one of your top philanthropic priorities
- Support donor stewardship and fundraising efforts through phone calls, 'thank you' notes, and creating prospecting lists
Gateway’s Diversity Commitment Gateway is actively recruiting trustees who represent our community of students and teachers. We want more voices at the table as decisions are being made for our schools. We strongly encourage people of color, first generation immigrants, LGBTQ+ persons, and persons from other historically marginalized groups to apply.
ARE YOU READY? Visit www.gatewaypublicschools.org/jointheboard to express interest in joining our Board of Trustees.
Next Steps: After we receive your interest form, we will be in touch with you about our board needs and priorities and the possibility of meeting with a Gateway trustee and/or staff member to get to know us.
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. The board is active during the school year (September to May).
Questions? Contact the Chair of the Trustees Committee, at email@example.com
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
1430 Scott StreetSan Francisco, CA 94115
January 4, 2022
- WEEKDAYS, FEW_HOURS_MONTH