BOARD OF DIRECTORS ROLE : VICE PRESIDENT OF PROGRAMMING
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: United Nations Association, Northern New Jersey Chapter
ABOUT THE BOARD ROLE
The World needs the UN. The UN Needs YOU.
The United Nations Association of the USA, Northern New Jersey Chapter is a nonprofit membership organization dedicated to building understanding of and support for the ideals and work of the UN among the American people. Its education, policy and advocacy programs emphasize the importance of cooperation among nations and the need for American leadership at the UN. Through discussions, partnerships, and action-oriented initiatives, UNA-NNJ offers its members a platform for education, advocacy, professional development in international affairs, and the opportunity to volunteer in international service.
The UNA, Northern New Jersey Chapter covers the counties in the northern part of the state which include Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Morris, Passaic, Sussex, Union, and Warren counties.
We are seeking a dynamic and results-oriented professional to serve as an active and collaborative member of the Board of Directors. The VP, Programming serves on the Board of Directors and is an operations team lead for the chapter’s various committees which includes the Young Professionals, Youth and Community Engagement, Sustainable Development, Peace and Security, Human Rights and Global Affairs. The VP of Programming assists the leadership teams of those committees by providing support and oversight of the coordination of virtual and in-person events and special programs. Working with the President and the Board of Directors, the VP will oversee activities which can include fundraising, awareness campaigns, UN Day activities, and informational programs on key topics.
Description and Responsibilities
- Provide operations and program management support to the chapter’s six committees in their efforts towards coordinating virtual and in-person events and special programs.
- Recruit, develop and nurture a pipeline of committee leadership.
- Encourage a thriving innovative and supportive ecosystem that fosters an environment where ideas can be brought to life.
- Facilitate programmatic team huddles/ stand-ups and retrospectives with the various committee leads to ensure all committee leadership are supported throughout the project/ event planning process.
- Consult with the President, Board or Directors and Committee Leadership to develop a high level programming strategy to present at the Annual Membership Meeting (DEC).
- Attend the bi-monthly board meetings and report updates on chapter programming activities which may include fundraising, public awareness campaigns, UN Day programs, partnerships with other organizations, and informational programs on key topics.
- Leverage data and feedback from our membership base to inform our chapters programming decisions.
Chapter Committees include the following:
Young Professionals Committee: The Young Professionals program encourages UNA members under the age of forty to become engaged with the United Nations through professional development and other opportunities.
Youth and Community Engagement Committee: The Youth and Community Engagement Committee liaise with UNA-USA Education Committee, both locally and nationally, and develop local youth programming efforts to cultivate a new generation of advocates involved in educational activities offered by UNA-USA designed to engage youth and teach about the United Nations.
Sustainable Development Committee: The Sustainable Development Committee organizes programs, projects and events to raise awareness of the UN’s 17 Sustainable Development Goals.
Peace and Security Committee: The Peace and Security Committee organizes programs, projects and events that will support the core principles of the UN concerning the peace and security of the global community, which include peacekeeping, peacebuilding, promoting the rule of law, disarmament and demining, and peaceful uses of outer space.
Human Rights Committee: The Human Rights Committee organizes events to promote the work of the UN and advocate for strong human rights protections, specifically those outlined in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. The committee oversees the Chapter’s UN Human Rights Consultations and works closely with the Advocacy team.
Global Affairs Committee: The Global Affairs Committee organizes programs, projects and events that will supports the principles of the UN and explores current global issues and challenges. Programming efforts address the educational, cultural, political, and social issues affecting specific regions of the world. The Global Affairs Committee comprises the following regional departments: African Affairs, Latin American Affairs, Asian Affairs, Middle Eastern Affairs, and European Affairs.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Excellent organizational, time and project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects, shifting priorities and meet deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills with the ability to relate to and motivate a diverse range of people, exercise cultural competence and inclusion, and accept direction and constructive feedback.
- Highly collaborative, communicative and transparent, with the ability to build strong and effective internal and external relationships.
- Organized self-starter able to work both independently and as a team in the execution of their responsibilities with the ability to demonstrate initiative and a positive attitude.
- Strong professionalism and work ethic with the ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality.
- Interested in sustainable development, climate action, human rights, foreign policy, international affairs, or a related area.
- Member in good standing of UNA-USA and strong commitment to and knowledge of the mission of UNA, Northern New Jersey.
Core competencies: Teamwork/ Collaboration, Program and Project Management, Change Management, Operations, Conflict Management, Cultural Intelligence, Design Thinking, Organizational Leadership, People Management, Performance Management, High Performance Cultures , Volunteer Management.
Priority will be given to applicants who possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s, Master’s Degree, or higher in public administration, human rights, foreign policy, international affairs, or a related area.
- Demonstrated interest in or experience with the United Nations or other multilateral organizations.
- Experience coordinating events and programming.
- History of progressively responsible supervisory experience working with an NGO or non-profit or private sector.
- Demonstrated capacity to work effectively with volunteer leaders and organizations
Benefits of serving as Board Member
There are numerous benefits to serving on the UNA-NNJ Board, including:
- Build your leadership skills.
- Strengthen your professional network by getting connected to a global network.
- Develop strong relationships with members from leading organizations in international affairs and key figures from the United Nations systems.
- Exercise your creative side by planning innovative events.
- Establish yourself outside of your current workplace and interact with like-minded individuals.
Responsibilities and Time Commitment
- The UNA-NNJ board meets every other month to plan and report on activities for about 1-2 hours on a weekend morning (starting at 10 a.m. or 12:00 p.m.). Meetings are conducted in-person month and generally take place on the first Saturday of the month.
- Board members are expected to participate, as appropriate, in discussions and decision-making processes that take place by email in between monthly Board meetings.
- Board Members are expected to attend at least half of the UNA NNJ Chapter events produced by fellow colleagues.
- Board Members are expected to submit and present reports at monthly Board meetings.
- Board of Director roles serve a two year term.
- Board Members are expected to abide by the chapter code of ethics.
Selection/ Nominating Criteria for Board of Director (BOD) roles: At least one year of volunteer service to our chapter is required for Board of Director roles. Eligible candidates *new* to our chapter are encouraged to apply to chapter BOD roles and, if selected, will be appointed for a temporary one-year term. Upon successful completion of their provisional term, candidates will then be eligible to apply for the three-year term BOD positions.
Important Considerations: this is an unpaid, volunteer position. As we anticipate a high level of interest in this position, please note, we may not be able to respond to all applicants.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter describing how your qualifications suit this position and why you are interested in serving in this role, a current resume, and the contact information for three references. Note: One or more of your reference (s) must be a current UNA Northern New Jersey Chapter member in good standing.
Please submit the entire application to email@example.com and include "Vice President of Programming" in the subject line.
UNA Northern New Jersey Chapter is committed to inclusion, diversity, equity and accessibility. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply.
UNA Northern New Jersey Chapter provides equal opportunity to all volunteers and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
6819 More opportunities with Idealist.org
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
Bergen County, NJ 20006
December 30, 2021
- Human Resources Diversity
- WEEKDAYS, FEW_HOURS_WEEK