LEGAL ASSISTANT VOLUNTEER
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Justice Centre Hong Kong
This is a full time volunteer position for those with a passion for refugee and human rights law and available on weekdays. Volunteers will develop legal and practical expertise and provide a valuable contribution to the Legal Services of Justice Centre Hong Kong, and to our clients.
Duration of position:
Legal Assistant Volunteers will become involved in tasks in connection with legal casework; provide file management; and act as the first point of contact for the organization in-person, on the phone, and via email. You would therefore play a critical role in client and external relations.
It is a structured placement for a minimum of 6 months with detailed training and supervision provided. Ideally it is a full time position from Monday to Friday but part time and more flexible arrangements will be considered.
- Reviewing and actioning all incoming communications to the Legal team (post, fax, telephone, email etc.);
- Respond promptly to any client enquiries (often highly vulnerable people), and also that of other visitors, agencies etc. in a professional, sensitive and respectful manner;
- Confirm and arrange appointments with clients and interpreters, and make appointment reminders as needed;
- Training and supervision of any volunteers as appropriate;
- Co-ordinate and assist with client and stakeholder events including managing materials, guest lists, venues, catering, and post-event evaluations;
- Developing and maintaining positive working relationships with NGOs, protection claimant communities, and other stakeholders in relation to Justice Centre’s activities;
- Contributing to developing organisational strategy, networking with strategic partners, fundraising and development, and whole-of-office initiatives as needed;
- Contributing to maintaining positive working relationships with the staff team and with HKSAR government, professional bodies, UNHCR, NGOs, and other stakeholders;
- Assist with office space reservations;
- Ensure the organisation and tidiness of office - including coordination with reception area;
- Co-ordinate and upkeep of Clio data collection and end of month statistical reporting for Legal Services;
- Liaise with interpreters, attend to interpreter matters, and keep an up-to-date record of interpreter details;
- Contribute to Justice Centre’s legal and file management systems as well as monitoring and evaluation systems in terms of collection, verification, database entry, and filing of client data;
- Assist with the coordination of intake and referrals for new and existing clients;
- Such other tasks as required for the support of the delivery of JCHK’s Legal Services, as requested by the Head of Legal Services;
- Maintaining the accuracy of client data and records on Clio; and
- To attend all relevant staff meetings.
- Demonstrable excellent organizational and communications skills;
- Cordiality and diplomacy;
- Willingness to learn and develop new skills;
- Multicultural sensitivity and ability to work with people from different cultural backgrounds and across varying language barriers;
- Ability to work independently whilst being a good team-player;
- Demonstrated literacy in Excel, basic data entry and Outlook;
- Fluency in verbal and written English; and
- Legal right to work/volunteer in Hong Kong and availability on weekdays.
- Fluency in Cantonese.
- Fluency in another language such as French, Arabic, Somali, Urdu, Sinhala or Bangla would be a considerable asset.
- Experience working with vulnerable people in a professional setting.
- An opportunity to gain experience of client facing legal work under close supervision and with detailed training from our expert team of refugee lawyers; the chance to learn more about refugees in Hong Kong, and to contribute to rewarding human rights work.
Please complete an application form and email a completed application to email@example.com with the subject line "Legal Assistant Volunteer".
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
511 Queen's Road WestSai Wan, Hong Kong
December 30, 2021
- WEEKDAYS, FULL_TIME