PR Manager (Volunteer)
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: WhoWhatWhy
Public Relations Manager (Volunteer)
*Note: The following is an opportunity for flexible, part-time, volunteer work. Please DO NOT APPLY if you are only looking for paid employment. All positions are remote/ work-from-home.
Are you an experienced public relations manager who is passionate about making a difference? Would you find it exciting to work with smart and talented individuals committed to producing great journalism in the public interest? Can you commit 10 hours a week to our mission, working remotely on your own schedule with our far-flung, diverse team?
WhoWhatWhy is seeking an experienced Public Relations Manager possessing strong knowledge of the news media, and how to get our stories exposure. Having strong contacts with major news programmers in television, radio and podcasts is essential. In addition, you should be skilled at leveraging social media to create visibility around our content and an environment where bookers will be eager to highlight our work.
This is an opportunity to introduce our important public service journalism to a larger audience, while working with smart and talented individuals in a stimulating and supportive atmosphere.
WhoWhatWhy.org is a nonpartisan, agenda-free news organization. Not left-wing, not right-wing, not consensus-seeking, we report the truth, whatever it is. We approach each story with an open mind, boundless curiosity, and a willingness to dig deep beneath the surface -- and don’t back away in the face of pressure from powerful institutions and groupthink.
We are a nonprofit. We are not funded by a zillionaire. We do not accept corporate ads. As such, we seek skilled volunteers to fill out our growing organizational infrastructure.
Age does not matter. We have among us young students, vibrant retirees, and everything in between, from all walks of life.
- Define our PR strategy and drive cross-functional collaboration for execution
- Write press releases aligned with our organization’s initiatives
- Successfully manage complex and potentially unexpected communications challenges
- Monitor incoming media requests and maintain close working relationships with other members of the media
- Scout opportunities for public appearances and train our personnel on public appearance etiquette
- 3+ years of experience in a PR or Social Media Agency that worked closely with news media focused on public policy and general news. Or commensurate experience in a news organization.
- Contacts with bookers and other decision makers at major television, radio, podcasts and on other platforms
- Experience in building communications campaigns that align with business objectives
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong judgment skills and ability to respond quickly, thoughtfully, and accurately to potentially urgent PR matters
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to communicate complex topics effectively
- Channel your passion in a stimulating environment
- Learn the nuts and bolts of nonprofit operations in an up-and-coming organization
- Develop new skills and gain valuable experience that can enhance your professional trajectory
- Do amazing work on a flexible, part-time basis
- Have fun while you make a difference
You will be expected to attend your department’s recurring meetings. Beyond this, you will work on your own schedule. We ask for a minimum commitment of 6 months for at least 10 hours a week. Because our team is spread throughout the world, we rely on a combination of Slack, email, and conference calls, and expect everyone to be responsive in a timely manner.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
PO Box 1103New York, NY 10276
December 30, 2021
- WEEKDAYS, PART_TIME