- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
SOCIAL MULTIMEDIA JOURNALISM - Practice and further develop your Social Media skills while experienc
Please visit the new page to apply.
- A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
Recruiting Organization: Aldeas de Paz - Peace VillagesSOCIAL MULTIMEDIA JOURNALISM - Practice and further develop your Social Media skills while experiencing a foreign culture!
The purpose of this Social Multimedia project is to promote the foundation ́s mission and document our work. The purpose of this multimedia project is to promote the foundation’s mission, which is primarily to raise awareness of the rights of all children in Samaná. Our causes are promoted mainly through Multi-Media content published on social media channels and local media in cooperation with our social media manager. This program aims to address parenting issues and child welfare through educational videos and social media publication as well as youth, family and community development, gender equality and women empowerment, sexual education, domestic violence prevention and at risk youth work and education. We hope you will help us produce short videos, documentaries and radio/television broadcasting content. In the past our volunteers have produced animated motion pictures, recorded videos, worked on photography, conducted interviews, and updated our social media platforms.
What to expect
Even though project topics are provided, volunteers are encouraged to come up with their own ideas and initiative. Part of the work consists of keeping track of the foundation’s work with the children and documenting our program activities (e.g., taking and editing pictures and videos). You are invited to present your production ideas and with the help of the volunteer team realize your project. This is an excellent opportunity to practice all your skills and learn new ones!
Activities can include but are not limited to
- Take photographs and/or video documentation and report, interview, write and edit content related to our programs
- Edit for our online social media channels, the webpage, blog and through local media
- Support the day-to-day running of the NGO and attend meetings with authorities and community members
- Use Multimedia content to connect people emotionally to pressing social, gender and environmental causes
- Assist with computer literacy classes and online work skill training for local young adults
- Raise awareness for human and animal rights through artistic, creative and educational Multi-Media content
- Assist with Social Community manager´s role to put together a content schedule for Social Media pages and help with editing and publishing content
- Write blog posts, articles, newsletters and other communication materials which can include a mix of media such as written content, videos, images and podcasts
- Assist with expanding our online presence improving functionality and SEO for our webpage and social media communication
- Help create, manage and grow the charity´s presence through blogs, Twitter, Facebook and other strategically relevant online properties
- Coordinate with local service operators, radio and TV stations for public awareness interventions related to various topics around children rights, education and health (advanced Spanish skills are required)
- Experience the Dominican style of live and chill by the rhythm of Caribbean music!
- Gain Spanish fluency with the help of our free Spanish classes and share daily life with locals
- Become more passionate about your studies and propel your career with international experience!
- Make memories you never forget during weekend excursions with your fellow participants!
- Enjoy the gorgeous beaches of Samana, climb the mountain peaks of pico Duarte and visit historical sites in Santo Domingos' colonial town!
This program is suitable for students with free holiday time, pre-university students, students taking or planning to take any Multimedia related studies, Marketing or Journalism as well as professionals in the field. Some previous experience with Social Multimedia, basic understanding of DSLR cameras and familiarity with editing software (including Photoshop, Adobe Premier Pro, Final Cut Pro) as well as social media management and/or social media marketing experience are welcome. However, volunteers with advanced experience are strongly encouraged to apply. We require volunteers to bring their own laptop and Pen Drive and encourage them to bring their own camera to supplement our own Multimedia equipment.
Volunteer placement or apprenticeship
You can join this program as a volunteer or apprentice. That's up to you! As a volunteer you are free to commit any number of hours per week. That's up to you! As an apprentice however you probably have to fulfill requirements set by your school or university. Please inform us of your school or university requirements in advance so that we can work out your personalized work plan together. Also tell us about your personal expectations and goals. We are happy to give students academic credit or provide a report outlining the learning outcomes and deliverables achieved during the placement.
This program is ongoing throughout the whole year
A minimum time commitment of 2 weeks is required and can be extended up to one year
About your Placement Location
The Aldeas de Paz Foundation headquarters are located in the villages of Samana and las Terrenas, located at the heart of Samana province and peninsula in the north-eastern corner of the Dominican Republic. These villages with about 15000 inhabitants are very peaceful and safe and are constituted by a community with a strong sense of social responsibility. The people themselves consider their towns very safe, there is no more crime here than in any average small European town. The Dominican Republic's countryside as a whole is very peaceful, and certainly one of the safest regions in the Caribbean.
The Foundation will do everything to make sure our volunteers remain safe during their arrival and stay in the Dominican Republic. On arrival at the airport you will be welcomed by our english speaking driver who will help you personally during your transit from the airport to the bus terminal granting you peace of mind and tranquillity. The driver will purchase your bus ticket while you catch the direct and comfortable bus to Samana, your placement location. Travel-time on the bus is two hours only. On arrival at the placement location, fellow volunteers and our Staff will welcome you and bring you to your accommodation.
Financial Contribution & Benefits
Aldeas de Paz works hard to keep the required financial contribution to an absolute minimum and offers financial transparency by practicing an open book policy. We encourage longer stays, recognizing that longer stays lead to more productive volunteer work, whereby more energy and time is donated in place of money! We offer free Spanish language classes, a double room at one of our fully equipped guesthouse apartments, personal airport welcome, pick-up & transfer to the bus, bus fare and free transfer to your placement location in Las Terrenas or Samana. If you wish a single room upgrade add €50 per week and an all in Host Family homestay upgrade is €150 per week, including a private bedroom and two meals per day.
What is included
- Volunteer or Internship placement
- Personal airport welcome, pick-up & transfer to our location
- Fully equipped Accommodation, free WiFi & and laundry
- Placement introduction, supervision, certificate, student credit
- Free regular Spanish lessons throughout your placement
- Full support and 24/7 backup from local staff
- Information about adventure packages & in-country travel
Volunteers and interns receive free language lessons throughout their placement duration. Classes focus on developing four basic communication skills: listening, comprehension, speaking, reading and writing. Students are encouraged to speak Spanish right from the very first day, using it in typical real-life situations as soon as they step outside the classroom where learning continues as they are immersed in the Spanish language and the Dominican culture.
Our primary responsibility is the well being of our volunteers, our staff, our beneficiaries and of everyone involved in our programs. The Covid 19 health situation in the Dominican Republic is managed quite well and precautionary measures are very dynamic, similar to European and international standards. Traveling to and from the Dominican Republic is possible without difficulty. Aldeas de Paz is completely operational - all our programs are active! For extra peace of mind we offer a free flexible travel date change. We are standing by to answer any questions or concerns you might have and look forward to hearing from you!
Description Video of the program: https://youtu.be/0ipn--79Y7A
Contact Person: Manfred Mönnighoff
Project/charity name: Fundación Aldeas de Paz
Address: Samana, Dominican Republic
Whatsapp: +1 829 7055 123
Language/Cultral Support Available
Fee Amount: 1238.00
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
Samaná, Samaná 32000Dominican Republic
December 30, 2021
- WEEKDAYS, PART_TIME