Rhythm 4 Life Youth Mentor
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Minds Beyond MeasureRhythm 4 Life (R4L) Program Mentor Mission Statement
Minds Beyond Measure (MBM), a nonprofit, strives to inspire purpose and passion, to empower and cultivate great minds in children, youth and teachers to improve educational outcomes in New York and developing countries.
Background of Our Organization
Minds Beyond Measure (MBM), is a nonprofit, newly established in 2019. It was birthed from the founder's traveling experiences and living abroad across Asia, and seeing a lack of educational resources and the lack of access to education in some very impoverished communities. The journey included training teachers, teaching children and youth, visiting rural schools with limited or no resources, experiencing children and youth who were hungry for small things, often taken for granted in the Western world, such as pencils and paper to write and books to read. This experience then evolved into a passion to serve the underserved, at risk and provide access to quality education for both teachers and students through pathways that inspire for life. This is when MBM was born.
What if you could go to your place of employment with a renewed sense of purpose and direction, confident in the knowledge that the work you do contributes to a great cause? When you work with us in the role of Rhythm 4 Life (R4L) Program Mentor this could be your life.
We're seeking a volunteer who wants to give back to the community and be a part of making a lasting impact with young people. By using their passion, creativity and communication skills, they will strive to inspire, empower and positively impact young people through a 9 week drumming program, where the focus is on using African Djembe drums to teach about culture and rhythm, and develop critical skills in students, including resilience, social-emotional, team and leadership skills.
Please visit our website to learn more about our program at https://www.mindsbeyondmeasure.org/youth-development.
If this sounds like the perfect fit, we'd love to hear from you!
Job Duties and Tasks
- Training (1 hour a week) in the Rhythm 4 Life: Drumming up Character program
- Co-facilitate a group of 10-12 children with the Program Lead on Saturday’s from 11 am-12 am
- Evaluate and reflect on program effectiveness
- Raise awareness of the mentor program to others
- Passionate about being a positive role model for young people
- Strong desire to positively impact children and youth
- Confident with presenting and performing to groups of people
- Comfortable with being assertive with children when the need arises
- Comfortable working with children/youth in an urban environment
- Strong communication, interpersonal and team skills
- Excellent organizational skills and time-management abilities
- Creativity skills
- Available to commit to a full program implementation for 9 weeks (2 hours each week): 1 hour - lesson preparation and 1 hour of program implementation (Saturday at 11am - 12 am)
MBM is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
Brooklyn, NY 10036
December 30, 2021
- WEEKENDS, FEW_HOURS_MONTH