Turn compassion into action! Support veterans as a Compassionate Contact Corps Region Volunteer
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: American Red Cross Pacific Coast Chapter, CA
This is a community-based assignment where the volunteer will utilize a quiet, private area to provide weekly virtual conversations (using phone, tablet, computer) with homebound Veterans or inpatients who are seeking to make a connection outside of their current environment and/or to provide support and communication to the Veteran’s caregiver. Volunteers will be trained and matched with veterans for 1:1 socialization. These are friendly visits with no medical or home-care duties.
- Provide quality 1:1 social interaction, engaging Veterans in meaningful conversations
- Schedule and participate in regular telephone or video visits which may consist of conversing with the Veteran/Caregiver for a mutually agreed upon time frame (generally but not limited to 15-30 minutes) to convey support and concern
- Immediately report any problems, or concerns conveyed by the Veteran and/or caregiver to the local VA Compassionate Contact Corps Coordinator who works as the liaison to the Veteran’s primary care team.
- Current Red Cross volunteer,
- Comfortable having conversations virtually using platforms such as Zoom, Facetime, etc. or by phone
- Sensitive to the needs of Veterans/Caregivers in stressful situations
- Empathetic and compassionate listener
- Ability to maintain privacy and confidentiality as mandated by HIPAA
- Must be willing to communicate regularly with the local Compassionate Contact Corps Coordinator
- Good people skills, excellent communication/listening skills
- Excellent phone proficiency such as a clear voice, good listening skills and compassion
- Emotionally mature, positive and service-oriented
- Ability to work independently
- Volunteer to provide own means (phone/computer) of communication
- Must be over the age of 18
- Preferably, contact will take place at least once per week and may occur more as mutually agreed upon by volunteer and Veteran. 15-30 minutes per visit.
- American Red Cross Orientation
- VA Onboarding
- VAVS Orientation
- Compassionate Contact Corps Orientation
- Job specific orientations to include: HIPAA, Suicide Prevention, Customer Service Training/Telephone Visitor Orientation
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
Ventura, CA 93105
December 30, 2021