Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: TorusVolunteer ESL Teacher
Torus is a new 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization whose mission is to bridge gaps between people and communities by facilitating transformative experiences of language and culture exchange. The Volunteer ESL Facilitator position consists of conducting English language classes online, 1-on-1 with adults from immigrant and refugee communities, primarily in Oregon. Interested applicants do not need to have prior experience as an ESL teacher to get involved.
This role is...
Transformative: Volunteers can work directly with members of the immigrant and refugee community to provide the knowledge and skills needed to change a person’s life. The 1-on-1 format of the English Language Program allows volunteers to tailor the classes to the specific needs of the English learner and help them achieve their goals with the English language.
Interpersonal: Building rapport with students is one of the focal points of this program so volunteers can foster close relationships with their students. The program allows for student/volunteer teacher pairings to work together for as long as both parties would like to participate in this program.
Intercultural: This opportunity creates a space for mutual development of intercultural competency. Both the learner and teacher get an opportunity to learn how to navigate and develop awareness, attitudes, knowledge, and skills to effectively and appropriately communicate with people of other cultures.
Skills and Attributes
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Intermediate fluency in English
- Desire to work with and build relationships with immigrants and refugees
- Flexibility, empathy, enthusiasm, and openness
- Willingness to examine one’s own privileges/cultural upbringing
- Willingness to be awkward, try new things, take direction, give direction
- Plan lessons by drawing inspiration from weekly topics posted on Better Impact/the Torus WhatsApp group
- Participate in 4 other facilitator's classes before being matched with your own learner
- Teach 1-2 hours per week + spend 30-60 minutes on prep and reporting
- Promptly communicate with all staff members, shadowers, and facilitators via WhatsApp, text, email, or phone
- Enthusiastically motivate and gently push learners out of their comfort zone
- Keep all class participants engaged
- Respond calmly, humorously, and decisively to the challenges that present themselves
- No experience as an ESL teacher is required for applicants residing in the U.S.
- Applicants applying from outside of the U.S. must provide proof of English ability
This is an unpaid volunteer position
Please fill out this form if you are interested in volunteering
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
8447 More opportunities with Idealist.org
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
Portland, OR 97266
February 18, 2022
- WEEKDAYS, FEW_HOURS_WEEK