ESOL Student Relationship Manager
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: A Faith That Does JusticeStudent Relationship Manager (~ 4 to 8 hours per week)
A Faith That Does Justice (AFTDJ) is an interfaith organization that challenges people to experience God by living their faith intentionally in service to others. We do this by showing how unjust societal structures marginalize people and by acting to help those in need. Our vision is people intentionally living their faith in action.
The Student Relationship Manager (SRM) is a mentor to a small number of prospective, current, and former adult English Language Learners. While they have no teaching or tutoring responsibilities, SRMs mentor and support students so they get the most benefit possible from participation in the English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) program of A Faith That Does Justice. Doing so requires SRMs to have frequent engagement with students, teachers, and tutors. The SRM must have strong interpersonal skills and speak Spanish and/or Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Russian, etc., preferably as a native, as well as English.
- Frequent engagement by email, text, and phone calls with each student to provide recognition of their efforts and acknowledge the challenges of learning a new language.
- Encourage active and on-going attendance and follow up with any student who is absent to offer genuine concern, help, and support in an "all out" effort to enable the students to obtain the best from the program.
- Surveys students on class content and value to the student
- Identify health and social services needed by a student and work with the Director of the ESOL Program to refer the student to organizations providing the needed the services.
- Periodically meet with the Lead SRM to discuss overall student needs and resources available to them.
- Provide "light weight" technical support to any student needing assistance with accessing or downloading apps required for class.
- Recruit new ESOL students.
- Maintain contact with former ESOL students and monitor their progress.
- Encourage students to actively participate in AFTDJ Community Meetings and Workshops
- Support AFTDJ public communications by relating non confidential student experiences and stories in support of the program.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
300 Newbury StreetBoston, MA 02115
December 30, 2021
- WEEKDAYS, FEW_HOURS_WEEK