Board Member Volunteer Job Description
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Los Angeles Music and Art School
Founded in 1945, the mission of the Los Angeles Music and Art School (LAMusArt), is focused on the personal, academic, and artistic development of low-income and at-risk youth through sequential education in the arts. Since its founding, LAMusArt’s focus has been to provide arts education experiences for youth who otherwise may have no access due to limited financial means. 75 years later, and over 100,000 students served, LAMusArt is thriving and continues its tradition of providing the best of arts education to East Los Angeles and the surrounding communities.
A key component of our arts education programs is the sequential one-on-one and small group instruction that allows for long-term involvement to meet the students’ changing needs over several years. At whatever entry point, students receive mentoring and guidance to help them discover, explore and develop their talents, and to sustain their interest in pursuing their art form as a gateway to higher education and personal success.
Today, LAMusArt continues to honor its commitment of arts for all by subsidizing enrollment rates, providing student scholarships, and offering complete tuition-free music ensemble programs year-round.
Current programming includes:
• Tuition-subsidized private music lessons, as well as small group lessons in visual arts, dance and drama.
• Tuition-free music ensemble programs provided in addition to normal class offerings:
o Youth Orchestra open to students 11 to 18.
o The Jazz ensemble open to students 11 to 18.
o The Choir open to students 11 to 18.
o The Mariachi Ensemble open to students 11 to 18.
o The String Program open to students 7 to 18 with free instruments.
o The Music Outreach Partnership Program (MOPP) offers a mix of 2nd to 5th grade students in two local schools with weekly violin or choir lessons.
• Technical/career training programs include the new Audio Recording and Music Engineering Program for adolescent aged students or older.
• Camp MusArt, a (5) five-week musical theatre program for students ages 7 to 15 offered during the summer.
The Board will support the work of the Los Angeles Music and Art School and provide mission- based leadership and strategic governance. LAMusArt is looking for qualified candidates for up to six positions on its Board of Directors.
Why Join a Board of Directors?
- Broaden Connections- Being a member of LAMusArt’s Board of Directors helps build valuable networks and expands your connections to other professionals by increasing your visibility. Past (and present) members have been involved in finance, marketing, law, business, nonprofit administration, education, and of course, the arts.
- Make an Impact- Helping provide students with a gateway to higher education and success through arts education is a way to positively give back to underserved areas of the community. We’ve collectively served over 100,000 students in our 71 year run, and with the help of the Board of Directors, we hope to continue to increase this number!
- Leave a Legacy- Joining the Board of Directors is a fantastic way to leave behind a legacy of philanthropy. Ensuring that these programs continue is a generous way to leave your mark on arts education in Los Angeles.
- Raise Your Profile - Build your professional credibility by joining LAMusArt’s board and show that an organization is entrusting you with a high-impact role. Being a member of the board is a public endorsement of your expertise, value, and asset as a team player. This affiliation is one you can communicate and promote, and it can raise your professional profile among your peers and across your industry.
- Round Out Your Resume- Board participation sharpens your business acumen by helping you gain expertise on complex issues and challenges. Having a seat on LAMusArt’s board not only looks great, but gives you professional abilities in management and provides you with transferable skills.
- Get Inspired- The connections and friendships you garner at LAMusArt aren’t the only things that will motivate you. Being an active member of LAMusArt is a great way to learn from and be inspired the kids we serve and the community we love. Helping students realize their creative potential is a rewarding gift for our supporters.
In particular, the school seeks individuals who possess experience in any of the areas of:
- Advertising/ Marketing
- Entertainment (Artist Management/Studio Executive)
- Real Estate
While day-to-day operations are led by Executive Director Manuel Prieto, the Board-Executive Director relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected. Specific Board Member responsibilities include:
Leadership, Governance and Oversight
• Serving as a trusted advisor to the Executive Director as he/she develops and implements LAMusArt’s strategic plan
- Reviewing outcomes and metrics created by Executive Director for evaluating its impact, and regularly measuring its performance and effectiveness using those metrics; reviewing agenda and supporting materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Approving LAMusArt’s annual budget, audit reports, and material business decisions; being informed of, and meeting all, legal and fiduciary responsibilities
- Contributing to an annual performance evaluation of the Executive Director
- Assisting the E.D. and board chair in identifying and recruiting other Board Members
- Partnering with the Executive Director and other board members to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
LAMusArt Board Members will consider LAMusArt a philanthropic priority and make personal annual gifts that reflect that priority. So that LAMusArt can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, LAMusArt Board Members will be expected to contribute or secure a minimum of $3,000 annually (August 1 through July 31) as follows:
• Provide an annual (August 1 through July 31) personal financial contribution to LAMusArt of at least $1,000. Contributions from businesses owned by a Board member shall be considered as personal funds.
• Purchase a minimum of two (2) VIP tickets to LAMusArt’s annual "Stars for the Arts" fundraising gala event.
• Secure the remaining balance from other individual, corporate or foundation sources met through any combination of donations to LAMusArt’s general operations, the purchase of tickets and/or sponsorships in addition to the two required for the annual "Stars for the Arts" fundraising event, and/or grants from a corporation or foundation (when the Board member is actively involved in the identification and solicitation of the grant opportunity).
NOTE: In-Kind contributions shall not be considered as part of the annual financial contribution obligation.
• Personal contributions above the $1,000 minimum personal financial contribution and the purchase of two (2) "Stars for the Arts" tickets shall be counted towards the fulfillment of the total $3,000 fundraising obligation.
LAMusArt’s Board Members will serve a minimum commitment of one three-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term. Board meetings will be held bi-monthly. Committee meetings will be held as needed to conduct school business. During the pandemic, board meetings are held virtually.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who is passionate about LAMusArt’s mission and who has a track record of board leadership. His/her accomplishments will allow him/her to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board Members.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
• Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in either the arts, business, education, government, law, marketing and philanthropy
• A commitment to and understanding of LAMusArt’s beneficiaries, preferably based on experience
• Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
• Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of LAMusArt’s beneficiaries
• Service on LAMusArt’s Board of Directors is without remuneration
For more information, please visit LAMusArt’s website at www.LAMusArt.org or stop by 3630 E. 3rd St. Los Angeles, CA 90063.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
3630 East Third StreetLos Angeles, CA 90063
December 30, 2021