BOARD COMMITTEE ROLE: GLOBAL AFFAIRS TEAM LEADERS
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: United Nations Association, Northern New Jersey Chapter
ABOUT THE COMMITTEE ROLE
The World needs the UN. The UN Needs YOU.
The United Nations Association of the USA, Northern New Jersey Chapter is a nonprofit membership organization dedicated to building understanding of and support for the ideals and work of the UN among the American people. Its education, policy and advocacy programs emphasize the importance of cooperation among nations and the need for American leadership at the UN. Through discussions, partnerships, and action-oriented initiatives, UNA-NNJ offers its members a platform for education, advocacy, professional development in international affairs, and the opportunity to volunteer in international service.
The UNA, Northern New Jersey Chapter covers the counties in the northern part of the state which include Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Morris, Passaic, Sussex, Union, and Warren counties.
We are seeking dynamic and results-oriented professionals to serve as active and collaborative members of the Global Affairs Committee.
Through a series of lectures, meetings, and recreational activities, the Global Affairs Committee supports the principles of the UN by exploring current global issues and challenges. The Global Affairs Committee comprises the following regional departments: African Affairs, Latin American Affairs, Asian Affairs, Middle Eastern Affairs, and European Affairs. Committee members assist in developing programming efforts to address the educational, cultural, political and social issues affecting the specific regions of the world. Committee members are encouraged to attend and develop cultural events and organize a committee specific signature event: the "Advancing International Unity" Annual Benefit.
Responsibilities and Time Commitment
- In consultation with the VP of Programming, Committees are expected to organize a minimum of one event or activity per year.
- Committee members are expected to abide by the chapter code of ethics.
- Committee members participate, as appropriate, in discussions/decision-making processes that take place via committee meetings and/or by e-mail in between monthly meetings.
- Attend all Committee events, and at least half of the UNA NNJ Chapter events, produced by fellow colleagues.
- Submit and present reports at Committee meetings about the status of their programming and event development.
- Work collaboratively with Committee members, and engage in Committee recruitment efforts to support their work.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Excellent organizational, time and project management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects, shifting priorities and meet deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills with the ability to relate to and motivate a diverse range of people, exercise cultural competence and inclusion, and accept direction and constructive feedback.
- Highly collaborative, communicative and transparent, with the ability to build strong and effective internal and external relationships.
- Organized self-starter able to work both independently and as a team in the execution of their responsibilities with the ability to demonstrate initiative and a positive attitude.
- Strong professionalism and work ethic with the ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality.
- Demonstrated interest in or experience with the United Nations or other multilateral organizations, international affairs, foreign policy and/or related areas.
Priority will be given to applicants who possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s, Master’s Degree, or higher in public administration, human rights, foreign policy, international affairs, or a related area.
- Demonstrated interest in or experience with the United Nations or other multilateral organizations.
- Experience coordinating events and programs.
- History of progressively responsible supervisory experience working with an NGO or non-profit or private sector.
Benefits of serving as Committee Member
There are numerous benefits to serving on the UNA-NNJ Committee, including:
- Build your leadership skills
- Strengthen your professional network by getting connected to a global network
- Develop strong relationships with members from leading organizations in international affairs and key figures from the United Nations systems.
- Exercise your creative side by planning innovative events.
- Establish yourself outside of your current workplace and interact with like minded individuals.
Important Considerations: this is an unpaid, volunteer position. As we anticipate a high level of interest in this position, please note, we may not be able to respond to all applicants.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter describing how your qualifications suit this position and why you are interested in serving in this role, a current resume, and the contact information for three references.
Please submit the entire application to email@example.com and include "Global Affairs Committee Team Leader" in the subject line.
UNA Northern New Jersey Chapter is committed to inclusion, diversity, equity and accessibility. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply.
UNA Northern New Jersey Chapter provides equal opportunity to all volunteers and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
Bergen County, NJ 20006
December 30, 2021
- WEEKDAYS, FEW_HOURS_WEEK