Become a Crisis Line Counselor!
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Didi Hirsch
Our Suicide Prevention Center needs your help to staff its 24/7 Crisis Line as a volunteer Crisis Counselor! This role is one of the most intensely rewarding ways to contribute to your community while helping to erase the stigma around suicide and mental health. Many of our volunteers are pursuing careers in the mental health field or considering a career change before applying to graduate school, while others are looking for something meaningful to do in their spare time. Some have been touched by suicide, and others just want to help people in crisis.
- Must be age 18 or older and located in Los Angeles or surrounding counties (Orange, San Bernardino, Riverside, or Ventura) with the ability to travel to our Century City office
- Basic computer competency and fluency in English required
- Ability to attend the 6-week online training and satisfy all training requirements described below
- Ability to commit to one weekly 4-hour shift on the Crisis Line for 12 months
No prior experience in mental health is needed. Due to the nature of our work, we do encourage applicants who have experienced suicide firsthand or through a loved one to seek support first before applying.
Training Requirements: During the COVID-19 pandemic, all training is held online via Zoom and a working camera + microphone are required for all training dates. Our training is time-intensive in order to ensure that our volunteers are ready to serve on the Crisis Line! Trainees are expected to complete all of the following:
- Crisis Line Training: Occurs twice a week for 6 consecutive weeks on Tuesday and Thursday evenings (6-9pm). Trainees learn to facilitate crisis calls, chats, and texts through evidence-based approaches to suicide prevention and role-playing.
- DDH: An 8-10 hour online training for the Disaster Distress Helpline that is completed on the trainee’s own time.
- ASIST: Attendance at a 2-day suicide first aid workshop will be required at a later date (TBD).
Volunteer Commitment: Trainees who successfully pass all training requirements are asked to commit to one weekly 4-hour shift on the Crisis Line for a minimum of 12 months where they take either phone calls or chats/texts. Chat/Text Counselors take shifts between 12:30pm-10:30pm PST only and phone Counselors take shifts between 8:30am-12:30am. Shift availability fluctuates based on the needs of the Crisis Line. All trainees go through an "apprenticeship" period during their first 3 months on the lines where they are closely monitored and given substantial support.
Application Process: Training cycles are held frequently throughout the year. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to apply. Please note that as this is a competitive volunteership with limited training space, we are unfortunately unable to accept every applicant.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
Los Angeles, CA 90230
December 30, 2021
- Public Advocacy