BOARD OF DIRECTORS ROLE : VICE PRESIDENT OF FUNDRAISING AND DEVELOPMENT
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: United Nations Association, Northern New Jersey Chapter
ABOUT THE BOARD ROLE
The World needs the UN. The UN Needs YOU.
The United Nations Association of the USA, Northern New Jersey Chapter is a nonprofit membership organization dedicated to building understanding of and support for the ideals and work of the UN among the American people. Its education, policy and advocacy programs emphasize the importance of cooperation among nations and the need for American leadership at the UN. Through discussions, partnerships, and action-oriented initiatives, UNA-NNJ offers its members a platform for education, advocacy, professional development in international affairs, and the opportunity to volunteer in international service.
The UNA, Northern New Jersey Chapter covers the counties in the northern part of the state which include Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Morris, Passaic, Sussex, Union, and Warren counties.
We are seeking a dynamic and results-oriented professional to serve as an active and collaborative member of the Board of Directors. The VP, Fundraising and Development serves on the Board of Directors and will work with the Board of Directors to develop a financial sustainability strategy. The VP will assist the chapter in developing strategies to diversify its revenue stream to support continued chapter growth. The VP will oversee donor cultivation, solicitation, stewardship and prospect research, with the ultimate goal of expanding individual, institutional and major donor revenue.
Description and Responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain a highly engaging donor cultivation cycle and gift stewardship program to ensure that new major donors are developed, existing donors are encouraged to upgrade, and all major donors benefit from a close relationship with UNA Northern New Jersey.
- Design and execute cultivation and stewardship events to engage and solicit donors.
- Collaborate closely with the marketing and communications team on strategies to support and execute fundraising campaigns across various channels ensuring consistency of voice, tone and messaging across all platforms and channels.
- Collaborate closely with the treasurer to ensure all donations are properly documented and meet IRS regulations for 501(C)(3) Organizations.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Proposal writing, grant management, and donor cultivation experience across a diverse institutional portfolio.
- Proven track record of successfully building (or significantly growing) an individual giving program that generated significant revenue in a nonprofit organization.
- Highly collaborative, communicative and transparent, with the ability to build strong and effective internal and external relationships.
- Professional demeanor and judgement in handling confidential and sensitive donor information.
- Excellent relationship management skills with the ability to represent UNA, Northern New Jersey professionally to all donors, Board members and strategic partners.
- Knowledge of best practices and emerging tools and trends in individual giving, planned giving and direct response.
- Excellent communication skills are a must, as well as an ability to self-manage projects with competing deadlines.
- Member in good standing of UNA-USA and strong commitment to and knowledge of the mission of UNA, Northern New Jersey.
Core competencies: Teamwork/ Collaboration, Grant Writing, Research, Collaboration, Project Management, Process Management, Customer Relationship Management, Database Management, Customer Segmentation, Strategic Planning, Oral and Written Communication, Conflict and Negotiation Skills, Consulting, Storytelling, Lead Generation.
Priority will be given to applicants who possess the following qualifications:
- Bachelors, Masters Degree, or higher in communications, public relations, public or business administration, foreign policy, international affairs, or a related area.
- Demonstrated interest in or experience with the United Nations or other multilateral organizations.
- Experience working with on Non Profit Development teams, Development Foundation Boards and/or Alumni Associations
- History of progressively responsible supervisory experience working with an NGO or non-profit or private sector.
- Demonstrated capacity to work effectively with volunteer leaders and organizations
Benefits of serving as Board Member
There are numerous benefits to serving on the UNA-NNJ Board, including:
- Build your leadership skills.
- Strengthen your professional network by getting connected to a global network.
- Develop strong relationships with members from leading organizations in international affairs and key figures from the United Nations systems.
- Exercise your creative side by planning innovative events.
- Establish yourself outside of your current workplace and interact with like-minded individuals.
Responsibilities and Time Commitment
- The UNA-NNJ board meets every other month to plan and report on activities for about 1-2 hours on a weekend morning (starting at 10 a.m. or 12:00 p.m.). Meetings are conducted in-person month and generally take place on the first Saturday of the month.
- Board members are expected to participate, as appropriate, in discussions and decision-making processes that take place by email in between monthly Board meetings.
- Board Members are expected to attend at least half of the UNA-NNJ Chapter events produced by fellow colleagues.
- Board Members are expected to submit and present reports at monthly Board meetings.
- Board of Director roles serve a two year term.
- Board Members are expected to abide by the chapter code of ethics.
Selection/ Nominating Criteria for Board of Director roles: At least one year of volunteer service to our chapter is required for Board of Director roles. Eligible candidates *new* to our chapter are encouraged to apply to chapter BOD roles and, if selected, will be appointed for a temporary one-year term. Upon successful completion of their provisional term, candidates will then be eligible to apply for the three-year term BOD positions.
Important Considerations: this is an unpaid, volunteer position. As we anticipate a high level of interest in this position, please note, we may not be able to respond to all applicants.
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter describing how your qualifications suit this position and why you are interested in serving in this role, a current resume, and the contact information for three references. Note: One or more of your reference (s) must be a current UNA Northern New Jersey Chapter member in good standing.
Please submit the entire application to email@example.com and include "Vice President of Fundraising and Development" in the subject line.
UNA Northern New Jersey Chapter is committed to inclusion, diversity, equity and accessibility. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply.
UNA Northern New Jersey Chapter provides equal opportunity to all volunteers and prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
Bergen County, NJ 20006
December 30, 2021
- WEEKDAYS, FEW_HOURS_WEEK