Featured Exhibit Hall Docent
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: OMSI - Oregon Museum of Science and Industry
Volunteers in the Featured Hall share science and history in the context of a regularly
changing exhibit. Volunteers facilitate educational demonstrations and activities as well
as assist on the exhibit floor with visitor needs and inquiries. Due to the changing nature
of the hall, duties may vary considerably between exhibits. Below is a description of
volunteer responsibilities for our current exhibit, Nelson Mandela: The Official Exhibition,
on view at OMSI October 9, 2021 - February 13, 2022.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Welcome and interact with visitors to help them explore and learn from the
Nelson Mandela exhibit.
● Facilitate the exhibit introductory theater experience, utilizing timed tickets to
allow limited seating inside the theater.
● When necessary, encourage parties to adhere to OMSI’s safety protocols,
including social distancing and wearing protective face coverings.
● Rotate through stations managing specific gallery spaces.
● Facilitate Nelson Mandela activities and demonstrations for children and adults.
Activities could cover a range of topics including history, culture, personal
reflection, and STEAM.
● Assist staff in the development, safety, and maintenance of the hall.
This hall provides an exciting, evolving, and changing environment. Volunteers will
experience OMSI and science from an insider's perspective!
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
● Skillful in facilitating exhibits and explaining scientific and historical information in
an age-appropriate manner.
● Strong communication and customer service skills.
● Able to maintain a calm, pleasant, and cheerful demeanor in a variety of
atmospheres and crowd levels.
● Able to listen to and communicate with people of diverse backgrounds, education
levels, and ages.
● Dependable and punctual.
● Self-directed and willing to take initiative.
● Must present a professional appearance.
● Willing to follow OMSI rules and procedures.
SCHEDULE AND SUPPORT:
● Minimum number of hours: 4 hours, every other week
● Attend the following trainings or classes:
○ Volunteer Orientation & Emergency Protocols
○ Mandatory Reporter Training
○ Hazardous Communication Training
○ Nelson Mandela-specific Exhibit Training
● Training, professional development opportunities and a lifelong learning
● Admission for the volunteer to the museum exhibits and attractions based on
● An OMSI Family Membership upon completion of 50 hours of volunteer service.
● Discounts in the OMSI Science Store and on-site restaurants.
● The opportunity to meet new people and learn more about science and OMSI.
To apply or learn more, visit our website at www.omsi.edu/volunteer or contact Volunteer Engagement at 503.239.7814 or Volunteer@omsi.edu
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
1945 Southeast Water AvenuePortland, OR 97214
December 30, 2021
- WEEKDAYS, FEW_HOURS_MONTH