Chemistry Lab Solution Specialist
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: OMSI - Oregon Museum of Science and Industry
Position Title: Volunteer Chemistry Lab Solution Specialist
Department: Museum Education
Reports To: Chemistry Lab Coordinator & Turbine Hall Assistant Manager
Location: OMSI - Water Ave
POSITION SUMMARY: Visitors to the OMSI Chemistry Lab wear goggles and perform hands-on, wet chemistry experiments, view activities, and observe chemistry demonstrations. Volunteers who are comfortable with a rotating content schedule will enjoy this position!
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Interact with visitors to help them explore and engage with Chemistry Lab experiments and activities
● Prepare and maintain laboratory experiments, including the appearance and functionality of experiment stations
● Present various chemistry demonstrations, depending on comfort level, to a diverse audience of backgrounds and ages [Activity examples include Rocket Launch, Elephant Toothpaste, and Sugar Flares]
● Assist with other duties as assigned by Chemistry Lab Educators
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
● Passion for chemistry and committed to sharing accurate scientific information ● Able to listen and communicate with people of diverse backgrounds and age levels
● Able to maintain a calm, pleasant, and cheerful demeanor in a variety of atmospheres
● Self-directed and willing to take initiative
● Dependable, punctual, communicative, and able to commit to a regular schedule ● Willing to follow OMSI rules and procedures
SCHEDULE AND SUPPORT:
● Commitment to a regular weekly or biweekly schedule (either morning or afternoon).
● Attend the following trainings or classes provided by OMSI:
○ Volunteer Orientation & Emergency Protocols
○ Mandatory Reporter Training
○ Hazardous Communication Training
● Training opportunities and a lifelong learning experience
● Admission for the volunteer to the museum exhibits and attractions based on availability
● An OMSI Family Membership upon completion of 50 hours of volunteer service ● Discounts in the OMSI Science Store and onsite eateries
● The opportunity to connect with new people and learn more about OMSI
To apply or learn more, visit our website at www.omsi.edu/volunteer or contact Volunteer Engagement at 503.239.7814 or Volunteer@omsi.edu
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
1945 Southeast Water AvenuePortland, OR 97214
December 30, 2021