Farmer-to-Farmer Lemongrass Product Specialist
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: National Cooperative Business Association CLUSA InternationalCompany Description
The National Cooperative Business Association CLUSA International (NCBA CLUSA) is the primary voice for people who use cooperative businesses to build a better world and a more inclusive economy. NCBA CLUSA provides cross-sector education, technical assistance, and advocacy that helps co-ops thrive. For over 100 years, NCBA CLUSA has sought to advance and protect cooperative enterprises, highlighting the impact that cooperatives have in bettering the lives of individuals and families. In the last 60 years, NCBA CLUSA has worked in over 85 countries in the areas of food security, agricultural development, strengthening of communities and farmer organizations, community-based health, natural resources management, and empowerment of smallholder farmers, women, and youth. We currently work in in Africa, Latin America, and Asia.Job Description
NCBA CLUSA’s USAID-funded Farmer-to-Farmer program sends American farmers and agribusiness professionals on 2-4 week agricultural development assignments, promoting sustainable growth and agricultural development worldwide. Volunteer technical assistance from U.S. farmers, agribusinesses, cooperatives and universities helps smallholder farmers in developing countries improve productivity, access new markets and conserve environmental and natural resources. During COVID-19 we have shifted to a hybrid volunteer model that affords US volunteers and in-country volunteers the opportunity to continue to provide technical assistance. For more information visit NCBA CLUSA Farmer-to-Farmer.
NCBA CLUSA is currently seeking 1- remote US qualified Farmer-to-Farmer volunteer candidate for the position of Lemongrass Sales Specialist to support Cooperativa Cafetalera Capucas Limitada (COCAFCAL)based in San Pedro de Copan, Honduras.
COCAFCAL, better known as CAPUCAS, is a coffee cooperative founded in 1999. They sell conventional, specialty and micro batches of coffee. Considering market instability and price volatility of coffee in the world, COCAFCAL cannot rely on one product as income. They have decided to diversify their product offerings to compete in other value chains such as aromatic herbs. They’re producing lemongrass, packing it in Ziploc bags and selling it from their warehouse. Ideally, CAPUCAS would export the lemongrass, but needs assistance developing value added products and identifying distribution channels.
Duration: 3 weeks, August- November 2021
ESSENTIAL AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Analyze the current aromatic herb sales tactics used by COCAFCAL and provide constructive feedback
- Establish a lemongrass production plan based on meteorological characteristics, land available and demand.
- Collaborate with members to create value added products (lemon grass oil, teas, etc.)
- Work with trainees to create a processing plan which includes quality and technical parameters for lemongrass
- Provide recommendations about the necessary equipment and facilities for processing (materials, characteristics, processing capacity)
- Work with the training members to create prototypes of different packages based on the consumer/client preference
- Degree in agriculture and/or food processing
- Work experience in herbs (lemongrass) production and processing
- Knowledge in developing value-added products from herbs
- Available for virtual communications with Host Organization, Staff and Co-volunteer
- US candidate must be legally able to work in the U.S. without sponsorship
- Advanced English language skills; reading, writing, speaking.
All application materials must be submitted in English.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
NCBA CLUSA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, and legally protected characteristics for non-merit factors.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurringFalse
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
1775 I Street Northwest8th FloorWashington, DC 20006
December 30, 2021
- WEEKDAYS, FEW_DAYS