Adoption Counselor (application screener for dogs and cats)
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Louie's Legacy Animal Rescue
Description: Adoption counselors do the fantastically rewarding work of connecting our animals to loving guardians. This position requires a high level of consistency and professionalism, as you are entrusted with the ultimate responsibility - deciding if an adopter is well suited to care for our animals.
- Reports To: Foster and Adoption Manager.
- Location of Work: Remote.
- Schedule: Typically Weekdays/hours vary based on the number of animals in care and the availability of your peers.
- Time Commitment: Approximately 5-10 hours per/wk. We request a minimum of 3 months in this role.
- Adoption Process:
- Review applications, interview prospective adopters, and assess their suitability as a match.
- Reach out to screened applicants within 24 hours of receiving the application.
- Gather information about each pet’s personality, activity, needs, and medical clearance.
- Counsel potential adopters on our expectations, an animal’s behavior, and its specific needs.
- Make suggestions for an appropriate match, based on the unique needs of that pet.
- If you determine a given applicant is excellent, but not a match for the particular animal they applied for, attempt to transition them into our People Focused Adoption program.
- Verify the applicant’s veterinarian references and the residential pet policy of the applicant
- If necessary, work with the Foster parent and the applicant to schedule a meet & greet.
- Finalize the adoption process via our database system.
- Consistently maintain accurate data in the ShelterLuv adoption database.
- Work closely with the Adoption and Foster Manager, Application Coordinator, and peers.
- Respond to all emails, FB posts, and Slack messages in a timely and professional manner.
- Inform the foster and the applicant of how the adoption finalization process works
- Evaluate the adoption process and make suggestions for improvements.
Qualifications: Are you?
- A positive and professional teammate?
- An animal lover, committed to saving the lives of animals in need?
- An equally good people-person?
- Willing to learn about animal behavior and a variety of situations an adopter may encounter?
- An excellent communicator?
- Cool under pressure, able to calmly navigate high pressure situations?
- Able to engage in discussions with others about commitments.
- Extremely organized?
- Willing to gain a deep understanding of the adoption process?
- We prefer that you foster and/or adopt with our rescue.
- Willing to maintain open, honest, and frequent communications.
- Familiar with Google Sheets, Slack, and/or other administrative and data entry systems?
- Have access to a phone, computer, and internet access?
If this sounds like you, please help Louie’s Legacy achieve our Vision to help rescue more animals, more efficiently, by working in a positive, professional and collaborative way with our community.
Important note - All Louie’s Legacy volunteers with access to internal communications, financial information, or personally identifying information must also:
- be over 18 years old.
- Commit to demonstrating the values outlined in our Organizational Cultural Agreement.
- Sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement in order to maintain a safe and responsible relationship with our volunteers, donors, fosters, and adopters.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
Cincinnati, OH 45247
December 30, 2021
- WEEKDAYS, FEW_HOURS_WEEK