CALL FOR LEADERS: NIGERIA COUNTRY SPECIALIST
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Amnesty International USA - Grassroots Leadership & Engagement
Amnesty International USA seeks a volunteer Country Specialist to help monitor the human rights situation in Nigeria and support in mobilizing action to promote and protect human rights in these countries. AIUSA’s Country Specialists serve as country experts and strategists and are part of a corps of volunteer leaders known as the Coordination Group program, which is organized by sub world region.
The Nigeria Specialist will join AIUSA’s West Africa Coordination Group (also known as Cogroup), which consists of skilled, dedicated specialists working closely with AI staff and others to advance human rights in the West Africa region. This volunteer position is an exciting opportunity to contribute your human rights passion and expertise while leveraging and expanding your skills. You’ll get training and support by AIUSA and be part of a community of activists advancing human rights in Nigeria.
As Afghanistan/Pakistan Country Specialist, you’ll work with partners to:
- Routinely monitor the political and human rights situation in Nigeria, with a solid understanding of AI’s policy and specific concerns pertaining to Nigeria.
- Develop and implement action strategies for Nigeria in coordination with Amnesty International’s researchers and campaigners around the world and the Advocacy Director of Africa.
- Provide general assistance, information, and actions to AIUSA members and activists seeking to work on issues related to human rights in Nigeria.
- Assist the organization in developing and maintaining contacts with counterparts in other human rights organizations, solidarity groups and other stakeholders.
- Collaborate with AIUSA Advocacy Directors on any aspects of AIUSA’s legislative work pertaining to Nigeria i.e. communicating with US State Department desk officers, US embassies abroad, foreign embassies in Washington DC and consulates throughout the US.
- Serve as AIUSA’s liaison to colleagues working on Nigeria at Amnesty’s International Secretariat.
You're the ideal Nigeria Country Specialist candidate if you have these qualifications:
- Based in the United States, willing to commit to the role for a minimum of two years.
- Substantive knowledge of human rights issues and trends in Nigeria.
- Familiar with advocacy or research relating to the rights of civilians in conflict, women, peace & security, and/or minority rights.
- Experience with grassroots campaigning and/or Amnesty International.
- Familiarity with international human rights standards.
- Experience studying or supporting civil society, human rights, gender equality, LGBTI rights, or fundamental freedoms in Nigeria.
- Comfortable speaking out on human rights either on social media, in front of a public audience, by lobbying members of congress or through writing.
- Engaged and responsive.
- Speak Hausa, Igbo, and Yoruba or other regional languages.
- Thoughtful, respectful, and committed team member dedicated to human rights in Nigeria and ready to join our team.
- Able to commit a sufficient amount of time to accomplish the tasks outlined above.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
600 Pennsylvania Ave. SE5th FloorWashington, DC 20003
December 30, 2021