Teach ESL English in Tanzania
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Red Sweater Project
Red Sweater Project collaborates with developing communities to create affordable, accessible and innovative educational opportunities for children in rural Tanzania. The organization operates the Mungere School near the town of Mto wa Mbu in the northern Arusha Region.
ESL ENGLISH IMMERSION PROGRAM TEACHER
Volunteer Period: September 15 - December 15, 2022
Red Sweater Project is accepting applications for an ESL-trained English Teacher to join a team of fellow colleagues to instruct the English Immersion Program (EIP), teaching beginner language skills to Pre-Form I students (students aged 11-14, US 7th Grade equivalent) at the Mungere School, engaging them to speak, read, write and understand English in a creative environment.
Mungere students live in a remote community where English is rarely spoken and primary school is taught in the local language of Swahili. Yet, Tanzanian secondary school curriculum is based in English medium and the language barrier can be a significant obstacle to learning. Teachers engage students in the three month-long program to actively participate in English classes and extra-curricular activities designed to broaden skills to prepare them for their coursework in Form I.
- Alongside teaching staff, execute and manage Mungere’s ESL English Immersion Program, engaging students through creative curriculum development, innovative lesson planning, and interactive pedagogy
- Create stimulating and active classroom activities; assess and monitor student learning outcomes
- Assist in the coordination of academic and extra-curricular activities and clubs, including athletics
- Assist with school projects, administration and instructor development as needed
- College degree
- Minimum 3 years of classroom experience
- ESL/EAL/ELL certification (TEFL, CELTA or equivalent) preferred
- Commitment to interactive and an engaging classroom experience
- Experience traveling, working/living abroad
- Organization and attention to detail
- Flexibility to work individually and as part of a diverse team
- Professionalism and excellent communication skills
- Interest in East Africa’s indigenous cultures and traditions
- Ability to live in a developing community
- Humility. We require individuals joining our growing organization to combine leadership skills with humor, patience and a humble approach to service
- FTE/40hrs per week; minimum 3-month commitment
- Free shared housing including utilities available
- Stipends available; DOE
- Professional and cultural orientation program (language training available)
- We do not charge Program Fees; Volunteers are responsible for their own travel and living costs
To Apply: Email current resume/CV and cover letter detailing relevant experience to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Work, with a side ofADVENTURE
Embark on a unique journey: an authentic experience of life in a traditional tribal community. Explore Tanzania’s abundant wildlife and marval at its majestic scenery.
Mungere Village is nestled in Africa’s Great Rift Valley, a short distance from Ngorongoro Crater, National Parks, the Serengeti plains and other unique destinations.
Travel further from the village to summit Mt. Kilimanjaro or relax on the beaches of Zanzibar Island.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
Mto Wa Mbu, Arusha Region 97034Tanzania
December 30, 2021
- WEEKDAYS, FULL_TIME