Volunteer ESL Teacher
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Garces Foundation
Garces Foundation is looking for dedicated and innovative adult English as a Second Language (ESL) volunteer teachers to either teach classes online OR in-person in South Philadelphia from January 5 - March 23, 2022. We're looking for volunteers who have an interest in language learning, language exchanges, and connecting with the immigrant community in Philadelphia.
We offer four levels of English classes: beginning, high beginning, low intermediate, and intermediate. Most, but not all learners, are native Spanish speakers, and the large majority currently work in the restaurant industry.
In addition to ESL classes, we also offer learners the option to enroll in additional workshops with topics ranging from restaurant professional development, digital literacy, financial literacy, health topics (especially relating to COVID-19), nutrition, and citizenship.
- Approximately 3-4 hours as week
- 3 month commitment (January 5 - March 23)
- Must attend 1 online pre-session training (January 5, 2022 from 7:00pm - 8:00pm)
- Significant materials provided; use Ventures series from Cambridge University Press for non-academic adult learners as well as Voxy English for students to use outside of class
- Computer, Internet, and printing/copying access
- Professional Development Opportunities
- Spanish language skills are NOT required but considered a plus
- BS or MS in education, social work, psychology or closely related field (in progress is accepted)
- Experience teaching or tutoring
- Experience learning an additional language and a desire to connect with the Latino immigrant community of Philadelphia
- Familiarity with Zoom, Microsoft Teams, or Google Meet
- TESOL, TEFL, or K-12 ESL certification
- Spanish language skills
- Work experience in restaurant industry
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
1901 S 9th StRoom # 205Philadelphia, PA 19148
December 30, 2021
- WEEKDAYS, FEW_HOURS_WEEK