Volunteer Certified Listener
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Certified Listeners Society
WHAT YOU WILL DO:
Reporting to the Certified Listener Program’s Supervisor, you will provide emotional support to people of all ages from around the world through our online chat. Volunteers are to listen, support and guide callers in the right direction. Given that we are an emotional support service, the contents of calls may vary in nature. This is a great opportunity to learn valuable skills and volunteer from home, especially during the pandemic.
- Provide emotional support via our chat service network
- ability to type 40 WPM
- Assess calls to determine if a caller requires professional mental health information and referrals
- Know your limits and ask for assistance when the caller presents themselves as a risk, or if you are unsure how to proceed with a call
- Assist callers with developing and discovering healthy lifestyle habits
- Work with callers/chatters, volunteers, and staff in a respectful and professional manner
What will you NOT be doing:
- Certified Listeners Volunteer are not therapists or hold themselves out to be. Volunteers are to only provide emotional support and should not try to provide callers with mental health support or services.
- Telling people what to do or how they should live their lives
- Providing crisis intervention or addiction counselling.
- To work a minimum one 4-hour shift per week for a period of at least 3 months.
- There is flexibility in scheduling, and you will be able to choose weekly shifts that best suite you.
PERKS OF VOLUNTEERING FOR CERTIFIED LISTENERS:
- Flexible scheduling
- Work from home
- Gain community service hours
- May be able to use hours to fill academic requirements,
- Reference Letter outlining your commitment at Certified Listeners Society
CERTIFIED LISTENERS SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES:
- Previous volunteering experience preferred, but not required
- Strong English reading, writing and speaking skills
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively
- Ability to work with individuals of diverse cultural and social backgrounds
- Comfortable interacting using electronic mediums
- Demonstrated ability to function well under pressure
- Demonstrated conflict management and resolution skills
- Sound working knowledge of community services
- Proven knowledge/experience in mental health
- Knowledge of domestic violence and resources
- Training in Assist or other Suicide Intervention models preferred
- Training in Non-violent crisis Intervention preferred
At a minimum, a Degree or diploma in social services, social work, psychology, nursing. We are also accepting applicants who are students of social services, social work, psychology, nursing, pre-med, medicine, and other similar fields.
Successful candidates will have to complete our Certified Listeners training and job shadowing. At a minimum, training will take 16 hours to complete, but can be done at your own pace.
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Night shift
- No weekends
*Shifts are scheduled between 8 AM and 12 AM EST
Certified Listeners Society is committed to volunteering equity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. Certified Listeners Society will make available reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities upon request.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
1235 Fairview StreetUnit 314Burlington, ON L7S 2K9Canada
December 30, 2021