Volunteer as Recovery Team Member to help Others Virtually!
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: American Red Cross Greater New York Region
Want to help others recover from disaster virtually? Sure thing! Join the Red Cross to support the disaster recovery of individuals, families, and communities through the activities of Casework and
Recovery Planning, Recovery Systems, and Community Recovery.
Responsibilities: include but are not limited to:
1. Conduct client interviews: both initial interview and follow-up conversations, according to standards
2. Assess qualifications for direct client assistance
3. Use the Client Assistance System 2.0 to document the assistance and services provided in the client
record according to standards
4. Assist with recovery planning, problem-solving and advocacy on request according to standards
5. Provide clients with information and referrals to community partners
6. Learn about the Recovery activities and develop knowledge, skills, expertise in Casework and Recovery
Planning, Systems and/or Community Recovery
Has the option to work remotely after completing required training
- We will be bringing on new volunteers in a slightly different manner than we used to: they will start by taking at least one Virtual Intake shift per week.
- Shifts are from 8:30am-1:30pm Monday-Friday, and consist of primarily answering calls from clients and taking down basic information to pass on to our caseworkers.
- They will also be maintaining a spreadsheet tracking all open calls from clients. In addition to this, they will be scheduling a weekly 1hr meeting with their direct supervisor (one of the caseworkers) who will start training them on casework procedures via video call on Microsoft teams.
- As they progress through the training they will start shifting from supporting virtual intake to following up with and seeing clients (virtually) on their own.
1. Volunteers must be comfortable using their home phone (can be mobile or landline) and computer to work with clients. NOTE: we utilize Google Voice so their personal numbers will NOT be visible to any clients.
2. Volunteers must be comfortable working in a remote environment and speaking to individuals (team members and clients) primarily via phone
3. Must be comfortable with basic technology- we utilize Microsoft Teams extensively and can teach them how to use it, but they will need to have basic technology skills and the confidence to learn how we use it.
4. Demonstrate the ability to work well in stressful situations and in a team-oriented setting. Has the ability to use CAS 2.0.
5. Customer Focus Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of clients, internal and external customers; acts with clients in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with clients and gains their trust and respect.
6. Manages Diversity Treats people equitably; works effectively with diverse populations. Is able to: Sit for 2 hour periods.
Length of Apptmt:
Minimum of 6 months to 1 year, renewable. Once trained can remain active as long as training is updated as required by chapter
Express interest below! And be sure to ask about American Red Cross's other volunteer opportunities.
If you have any question(s), please email us:firstname.lastname@example.org or call/text us at (646)875-8051
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
520 West 49th StreetNew York, NY 10019
December 30, 2021
- WEEKDAYS, FEW_HOURS_WEEK