Writer's Council Fellowship 6 - Open For Aspiring Writers
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: IVolunteer International
This position is open to citizens of any country.
We are an LGBTQI+ friendly organization and an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This is a position that will hold membership in IVolunteer International’s Writer’s Council. The "Writer’s Council" consists of volunteer writers who will keep the organization’s official blog energized by sharing stories that are mainly relating to capacity development, human rights & security, sustainable development goals, research & opinion, women & youth, and volunteer stories. However, we also welcome stories inspired by current events happening in the world or in the writer’s own communities. We welcome all creative topics suggested by our Writers and we are very flexible in approving them.
The Writers’ Council is a leadership training and activist empowerment program. Through monthly guest-speaker series, cohort members will be able to hone their expertise and knowledge on a variety of professional and personal skills that are essential in creating impact-oriented advocacy movements. Fellows will also get the opportunity to make new friendships across the globe and collaborate on covering social issues.
The position is aflexibleposition, which means that the tasks allocated to you must be completed on your own time on or before the deadline and you can work from anywhere, virtually. This is an unpaid, volunteer position without any financial compensation. The position is open to citizens of any country. We always work with your schedule.
Objectives of the Writers’ Council
- Establishing an online platform for youth leaders and writers to share their stories and the stories of others.
- Training young and aspiring community leaders and activists on professional development to take their initiatives from advocacy to action.
- Being a platform for change-making, and a source for inspiration to our readers.
- Understand the vision and mission of IVolunteer International and the Writer’s Council.
- Proven history of community engagement, local activism, and leadership.
- Applicants must be between 18 - 35 years of age as of August 1, 2021.
- Have strongcommunication skills (reliability, response time) and have access to software such as Slack, Zoom, and reliable access to the internet to use other software such as email, Google Drive, etc.
- Have some experience and knowledge of Google Drive, Google Documents, WordPress, and Microsoft Office.
- Be able to author and publish articles on WordPress (training will be provided)
- Have an excellent command of the English language in writing and speaking.
- A proven willingness and ability to meet deadlines.
- Have basic soft skills and leadership qualities to work together in a team.
- Have appropriate time and willingness to commit to achieving the goals and objectives of the program
- Work together with your assigned Editor to achieve the objectives of the Writers’ Council and the blog.
- Be able to cover events in the local community and interview activists and advocates as requested.
- Publish a minimum of four articles per month (1 article per week).
- Attend bi-weekly and/or monthly virtual meetings.
- Attend bi-weekly and/or monthly professional development seminar series.
All stories authored must be of your own work. If needed, the content including information and images must be appropriately cited. No previously copyrighted material is allowed to be in your work. All authors must have a serious understanding of ethics in journalism and plagiarism. As a writer, you can write about any topic you’re interested in as well. In the past, some writers have written articles to raise awareness about mental health, equal pay, internationally celebrated days, etc. You do not have to "stick" to a selected few avenues. We encourage you to be creative.
All selected candidates will receive WordPress training through an orientation.
Commitment & Contract
A commitment of a minimum of 3-5 hours a week is expected. This cohort will be 4-months, from August 23, 2021, to December 15, 2021. If you are expecting to use this opportunity for college credit, a commitment of a minimum of 10 hours a week is required.
Recognition & Benefits
- Training on WordPress utilization, academic writing, blog writing, and general ethics in journalism and feedback on each article for improvement.
- Professional Development seminar series organized monthly, held on Zoom from experts in various fields.
- A letter of recommendation at the end of the volunteer period.
- A personal portfolio of your published articles is maintained under a custom web address.
- The opportunity to network with high-level representatives from organizations worldwide and to attend exclusive partner events.
- Experience in operating a start-up nonprofit organization and public service.
- An opportunity to practice your journalism and writing/reporting skills.
- The ability, privilege, and power to give voice to the voiceless.
Application Deadline: November 30, 2021 at 10:00a Eastern Standard Time (EST).
Start Date: January 10, 2022
End Date: June 15, 2022
For more information, feel free to visit: https://www.ivint.org/careers/?swcfpc=1 and select section Writer's Council Fellowship - Cohort 6.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurringFalse
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
Stephenson AvenueSavannah, GA 31405
December 30, 2021
- WEEKENDS, FEW_HOURS