Teen Tech Facilitator
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: OMSI - Oregon Museum of Science and Industry
POSITION SUMMARY: Volunteers engage visitors to design and create projects in the
Teen Tech Center (TTC). The TTC is a free multimedia and creative technology-
focused maker space specifically for ages 13-18. We provide space, materials, and
support so teens can express themselves creatively and gain hands-on experience
with high tech tools and programs. Successful volunteers will encourage youth to
create through questions rather than lecture-style instruction, maintain a flexible
outlook, and be ready to take on any challenge.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Encourage visitors to explore, collaborate, innovate, and create personal projects.
- Mentor teens by asking open-ended questions, co-investigating, and using other facilitation techniques to help promote exploration and innovation.
- Provide guidance if needed in the inspiration, resource gathering, and creation of daily projects and activities.
- Maintain the integrity and appearance of the space.
- Maintain a safe, secure, and inviting environment for visitors and staff.
- Eager to facilitate visitor-led and visitor-centered experiences.
- Excited about teaching and learning through play and experimentation.
- Comfortable with open-ended problem solving.
- Desire to communicate accurate science and technology content in an engaging way with people of diverse backgrounds.
- Self-motivated with strong communication and interpersonal skills, comfortable with actively engaging with 13-18 year olds in a positive, consistent manner.
- Passionate about tinkering, building, and making things with others.
- Dependable and punctual; ability to adhere to a regular schedule preferred
- Commitment to safety and willing to uphold OMSI rules and procedures.
- Experience with creative technologies, including: Adobe Creative Suite, Pro Tools, Ableton, AutoCAD, Scratch, etc.
- Experience with arts/crafts including: sewing, embroidery, knitting, drawing, painting, etc.
SCHEDULE AND SUPPORT:
- Typical Schedule: The TTC is open Tuesdays through Fridays from 2:30 pm to 7:00 pm and Saturdays from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm
- Minimum hours: 8 hours a month. 4 hours every/other week
- Attend the following trainings or classes with OMSI:
- Volunteer Orientation
- Emergency Procedures
- Mandatory Reporter
- Area specific training
- Supervisor will provide ongoing training on Teen Tech Center equipment and software during the shifts.
- Participation in an opportunity to provide input and feedback in the development of a new area of the museum.
- Training and a lifelong learning experience.
- Admission for the volunteer to the museum, theater and planetarium shows, and submarine tours.
- An OMSI Family Membership upon completion of 50 hours of volunteer service.
- Discounts in the OMSI Science Store and on-site restaurants.
- The opportunity to meet many new people and learn more about OMSI.
To apply or learn more, visit our website at www.omsi.edu/volunteer
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
1945 Southeast Water AvenuePortland, OR 97214
December 30, 2021
- WEEKDAYS, FEW_HOURS_MONTH