AmeriCorps Refugee Education and Support Specialist
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Catholic Charities Atlanta
The Refugee Education and Support Specialist ( Notre Dame AmeriCorps Volunteer- NDA) is part of the Refugee Services team, serving refugees and other eligible populations in the Atlanta area. The NDA member will work primarily with refugee students newly resettled in Atlanta: those who have fled persecution in their homelands with their families and are starting school in the United States for the first time.
The Refugee Education and Support Specialist will work part of the day in the Refugee Services office and part of the day at the refugee afterschool program as one of two staff members overseeing the program. The program is designed to provide academic support as well as social and emotional skills to refugee students identified by the school as additional support to succeed in the academic environment. Thirty students are served by the program from 2:30-4:30pm Monday-Thursday. In addition to Refugee Services team members, community volunteers also support the program to provide a small group environment for students.
Please Note: This is an AmeriCorps position through Notre Dame Mission Volunteers. Compensation is a living allowance only.
- Recruit and train 25+ volunteers to tutor and mentor elementary youth in after school. Organize a schedule that will ensure adequate volunteer coverage during each of the four days per week that after school is held. Communicate the schedule to all after school program staff.
- Implement the Refugee Afterschool Program, in conjunction with Catholic Charities Atlanta staff member, throughout the school year. Assist with curriculum development, student enrollment and assessment, parental support, volunteer management, and other activities related to the afterschool program.
- Provide orientation sessions to newly arrived refugee students around such topics as standardized testing, bullying, mental health awareness, etc.
- Enable refugee parents to become involved in their child/children’s education by assisting with parent/teacher conferences, student support team meetings, and other activities.
- Provide general support to volunteers in the Refugee Services program and assist in troubleshooting when problems arise with volunteer satisfaction, support, or attendance.
- Serve as a member of the Refugee Services team and assist other team members in providing services to clients which may include transporting clients to appointments, delivering donations, meeting clients at home, and/or arranging for services through another service provider.
- Provide accurate, thorough and up-to-date case note documentation on all client services performed. Complete case file documentation in accordance with Agency/Program policies & procedures and funding source regulations.
- Establish and maintain strong working relationships with area schools and other community based organizations. Represent Catholic Charities to parishes, service providers, and the community.
- Support all team/agency decisions and support team members whenever possible and appropriate. Establish and maintain positive working relationships with other team members and Catholic Charities-Atlanta staff. Supervise volunteers as needed.
- Ensure the confidentiality and privacy of all client information. Maintain appropriate and professional boundaries/relationships with clients at all times.
The work week is generally 37.5 hours per week on a year round basis, however the position requires a willingness and flexibility in work hours when necessary to fulfill volunteer job responsibilities.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
2305 Parklake Drive NortheastAtlanta, GA 30345
December 30, 2021
- WEEKDAYS, FULL_TIME