Early Childhood Engagement Play Champion
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: OMSI - Oregon Museum of Science and Industry
POSITION TITLE: Early Childhood Engagement Play Champion
REPORTS TO: Early Childhood Education Coordinator and Manager
DEPARTMENT: Museum Education LOCATION: OMSI Water Ave site
POSITION SUMMARY: Young children (ages birth-8) are able to learn and explore in fun, educational settings in places like OMSI’s Science Playground, the Curium and sometimes special exhibits! Volunteers in all of these spaces assist caregivers and children in experiencing the activities and exhibits, and assist staff in maintaining the space to ensure the safety of our youngest visitors and their families.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
● Connect with a wide age range of visitors in a variety of spaces by facilitating activities and exhibits and modelling age-appropriate science process skills.
● Share accurate science and museum information with guests. ● Ensure a safe and secure environment for visitors by assisting caregivers in supervision of children, including observation of consistent rules and limits.
● Present demonstrations such as bubbles, leading story time, etc., depending on assigned space.
● Maintain ongoing safety and cleanliness procedures, which includes bending and stooping at times.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
● Strong communication, customer service, and problem-solving skills. ● Interest and/or experience in early childhood education and child development.
● Ability to learn and model adult-child interactions for positive early learning experiences.
● Dependable, punctual, and willing to commit to a regular schedule. ● Willing to follow OMSI rules and procedures.
SCHEDULE AND SUPPORT:
● Minimum number of hours: 4 hours per week or every other week. ● Attend the following trainings or classes provided by OMSI: ○ Volunteer Orientation
○ COVID-19 Safety Training
○ Mandatory Reporter Training
○ Recognizing & Preventing Harassment Training
○ Position-specific training with ECE staff
● Watching the joy on children’s faces and ensuring a safe and welcoming environment for early education exploration
● Training opportunities and a lifelong learning experience.
● Admission for the volunteer to the museum exhibits and attractions based on availability.
● An OMSI Family Membership upon completion of 50 hours of volunteer service.
● Discounts in the OMSI Science Store and on-site restaurants. ● The opportunity to meet many new people and learn more about OMSI.
To apply or learn more, visit our website at www.omsi.edu/volunteer or contact Volunteer Engagement at 503.239.7814 or Volunteer@omsi.edu
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
1945 Southeast Water AvenuePortland, OR 97214
December 30, 2021