Red Cross Needs Health Professionals for Wildfire Season
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: American Red Cross Pacific Coast Chapter, CA
Are you a licensed health care professional? Get prepared now to help people in disaster shelters.
Due to predictions for an active hurricane and wildfire season and the complexities of COVID-19, the Red Cross will need thousands of volunteers to care for people when disasters strike.
What is this role?
We need volunteers who can work in emergency shelters to help assess people’s health and provide hands-on care in alignment with their professional licensure (RN and LPN/LVN). We also need volunteers who can provide care as delegated by a licensed nurse in shelters; this could include assisting with activities of daily living, personal assistance services, providing health education and helping to replace medications, durable medical equipment or consumable medical supplies.
Daily observation and health screening for COVID-19-like illness among shelter residents may also be required. We have both associate and supervisory level opportunities available. If you are an RN, LPN, LVN, APRN, NP, EMT, paramedic, MD/DO or PA with an active, current and unencumbered license, there is a role for you. Ancillary roles are available locally for Certified Nursing Assistants, Certified Home Health Aides, student nurses and medical students. RNs supervise all clinical tasks.
Why is the role important?
Our wildfire shelter response teams are there to provide care and comfort to our communities while displaced during disasters. As wildfire season approaches, we have altered our response methods to abide by the guidelines established by our local public health departments and the CDC to best protect the safety of our clients, volunteers and staff during COVID-19. Natural disasters can strike at any moment, and we are working to prepare our communities in case that happens.
- Have an active license in one of the following: Registered Nurse (RN), Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN), Licensed Vocational Nurse (LVN), Emergency Medical Technician (EMT), Paramedic, Medical Doctor (MD), Doctor of Osteopathy (DO), Physician Assistant (PA), Nurse Practitioner (NP), Advanced Practice Registered Nurse (APRN)
- Ability to complete online training - 6 hours
- Attend 1 shelter team update virtual meeting per month
- Flexible availability (preferably during Wildfire season June-November)
- Minimum of 5 days working 4-, 6- or 12-hour shifts during a two-week period during a disaster response
Ready to Make a Difference? Here's How to Get Started!
- Go to redcross.org/volunteer to complete our online application. It takes less than 10 minutes!
- A member of our team will get in touch. Taking the time for a personal conversation enables us to match you with a role that will be both meaningful and enjoyable.
- We’ll provide all necessary training to ensure you can be successful in your volunteer role.
Flexible schedule, must be willing to make a minimum of five 4-, 6- or 12-hour shifts within a two-week disaster response
A current, unencumbered license in at least one of the following professions:
oLicensed Practical Nurse
oLicensed Vocational Nurse
oEmergency Medical Technician
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
Ventura, CA 93105
December 30, 2021