Fashion & Home Shop Assistant
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Oxfam GB
Are you looking to develop new skills, meet new people & get a sense of satisfaction from a job well done? We are looking for volunteers wishing to make a regular, longer-term commitment to our shops - a gift of 4 hours each week can make such a difference to our ability to thrive. You will be contributing to encouraging more sustainable shopping practices and helping to ensure that one person's unwanted items find a new home or are recycled, if possible.
If you love charity shop shopping, interacting with others, creating beautiful displays, unpacking books, organising things or having a good tidy then this could be the role for you!
Oxfam is a global movement of millions of people who share the belief that, in a world rich in resources, poverty isn't inevitable. We respond fast in emergencies, work on long-term projects with communities and campaign for genuine, lasting change.
Our volunteers, staff and those we aim to influence are all guided by our values of empowerment, accountability and inclusiveness.
With a network of about 570 shops, our diverse volunteers play an integral role in championing Oxfam’s values, running the shops and promoting our life saving work to the wider community.
Through the sale of donated goods and our ethical range of new products, Sourced by Oxfam, our shops raise millions of pounds each year to fund our crucial work to end the injustice of poverty.
Oxfam shops are at the forefront in campaigning for sustainable fashion and we are proud that no item of clothing donated to us finds its way to the landfill.
Do you have a bit of time to give?
Your gift of time can be planned to suit you and the needs of the shop. This role can be flexible and work around your existing commitments. You don’t need to give a lot of time to make a big difference. We would not be able to raise crucial funds for Oxfam’s emergency and development work all over the world without our dedicated volunteers, who provide their time and bring a multitude of skills. In return, we offer personal development, valuable insight into charity retail and a friendly environment to meet new people. You can watch our volunteering video on the Oxfam GB YouTube channel.
What are your key responsibilities?
Depending on the immediate needs of the shop and your interests, you may be involved in the following:
- Providing excellent customer service.
- Selecting, preparing and pricing donated clothes, books, homewares etc in line with shop guidelines.
- Creating attractive displays.
- Promoting our Gift Aid scheme.
- Promoting our shops to the local community.
- Operating the till.
We welcome applications from those who want to work on the shop floor offering amazing customer service as well as those who may prefer to beaver away in the back hunting for treasure! And of course, there's the option to do a bit of everything.
What skills and experience are we looking for?
You do not need specific skills and experience, but the following would be useful:
- Enthusiasm, flexibility and a willingness to get "stuck in"!
- Commitment to Oxfam’s values of empowerment, accountability and inclusiveness.
- Ability to work within Oxfam’s policies and shop guidelines.
- An interest in retail and customer service.
- Ability to work well as part of a team and under own initiative.
- A willingness to learn & share your knowledge.
What will you gain from this opportunity?
Our shops are fun, friendly and supportive environments plus there are usually yummy biscuits!
- is a fantastic way to meet new people and develop other relationships outside of home, work or study.
- allows you to work in a different environment and can be a way of relaxing from a busy lifestyle.
- gives you the chance to grow, build your self-esteem as well as developing skills and the confidence to use them in all walks of life.
This role will provide the opportunity to
- use and develop your skills and experience, particularly in the areas of teamwork, communication and decision-making.
- gain valuable experience in retail.
- boost your CV by gaining nationally recognised NVQ qualifications in customer service, retail and management (subject to eligibility).
- learn about Oxfam’s humanitarian, development and campaigning work.
Lunch and local travel expenses can be reimbursed in line with Oxfam’s policy.
You will be joining thousands of volunteers who "won’t live with poverty".
Oxfam does not accept applications from anyone on the Sex Offenders list.
We may enquire about unspent convictions relevant to the role and you may be required to submit to DBS checks (at no expense to you). You can find out more information about safeguarding policies on our website.
We will provide you with ongoing support and training throughout your volunteering journey. This includes a full induction and specific training on Health & Safety, Safeguarding and Gift Aid.
Once we receive your expression of interest we will ask you to complete our volunteer application form. We will then contact you to discuss the opportunity. Please note we do require a positive professional reference and proof of identification prior to any volunteer starting.
Thank you very much for your interesting in volunteering with us. We look forward to having you in our team!
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
5 Union StreetBury, England BL9 0NYUnited Kingdom
December 30, 2021