Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: GeekGirlConMission of GeekGirlCon
GeekGirlCon celebrates and honors the legacy of women contributing to science and technology; comics, arts, and literature; and game play and game design by connecting geeky women worldwide and creating community to foster continued growth of women in geek culture through events. GeekGirlCon values being a Welcoming Community, Empowerment, Diversity and Inclusion.Positions Reporting to Executive Director
Executive Team (Directors of Operations, Director of Marketing, Director of Programming and Events, Deputy Director, Director of Development)Job Summary
The Executive Director is the Chief Executive Officer of GeekGirlCon. The Executive Director is responsible for the organization’s consistent achievement of its mission and financial and community objectives. The Executive Director position takes 20-30 dedicated hours per week, with an increase in hours the month leading up to the convention. This is a volunteer position.
The Board delegates responsibility for oversight and management of day-to-day operations to the Executive Director, and the Executive Director has the authority to carry out these responsibilities in accordance with the direction and policies established by the Board. The Executive Director provides direction and enables the Board to carry out its advisory functions.
Together, the Executive Director and Executive Team ensure GeekGirlCon’s service to the community, the accomplishment of GeekGirlCon’s mission and vision, and the accountability of GeekGirlCon to its diverse constituents.In mission, policy, and planning, the Executive Director will:
- Advise the Board as it determines GeekGirlCon’s values, mission, vision, and both short- and long-term goals.
- Provide relevant documentation so the Board can monitor and evaluate GeekGirlCon’s service to the community, its effectiveness, and its results.
- Keep the Board informed on the status of GeekGirlCon’s health as an organization and ensure transparency between staff and the Board.
- Identify problems and opportunities and address them; bring those that are appropriate to the Board and/or its committees; facilitate discussion and deliberation.
- Inform the Board and its committees about trends, issues, problems, and activities in order to facilitate policy-making. Recommend policy positions.
- Keep informed of developments in human services, not-for-profit management and governance, and philanthropy and fund development.
- Ensure that the organization has an achievable, consistent, and efficient long-range strategy.
- Provide leadership in developing program, organizational, and financial plans with the Board of Directors and Staff, and carry out plans and policies authorized by the board.
- Promote active and broad participation by volunteers in all areas of the organization’s work.
- Ensure that the organization complies with legal requirements including maintenance of official records and documents, and compliance with federal, state, and local regulations.
- See that the board is kept fully informed on the condition of the organization and all important factors influencing it.
- Establish and coordinate sound working relationships and cooperative arrangements with community groups and organizations
- Represent the programs and point of view of the organization to agencies, organizations, and the general public.
- Provide general oversight of all GeekGirlCon activities, manage the day-to-day operations, and assure a smoothly functioning, efficient organization. Provide direct supervision of the executive team (Deputy Director, Dev Director, Con Ops Director, Internal Ops Director, Marketing Director, and Director of Programming and Events), as well as any managers in the absence of a director.
- Be responsible for the recruitment, volunteer commitments, and release of all personnel/volunteers.
- Ensure that job descriptions are developed, that regular performance evaluations are held, and that sound human resource practices are in place.
- See that an effective management team, with appropriate provision for succession, is in place.
- Encourage staff and volunteer development and education and assist program staff in relating their specialized work to the total program of the organization.
- Maintain a climate which attracts, keeps, and motivates a diverse staff of top quality people, who are endeavored to further GeekGirlCon’s mission statement.
- Be responsible for developing and maintaining sound financial practices.
- Work with the staff and the Executive Team in preparing a budget; see that the organization operates within budget guidelines.
- Work with Executive Team and the Board of Directors to ensure financing to support short- and long-term goals.
- Conduct official correspondence of the organization, and jointly, with designated officers, execute legal documents.
- Participate in marketing to facilitate the integration of GeekGirlCon into the fabric of the community.
- Act as an advocate, within the public and private sectors, for issues relevant to GeekGirlCon, its services, and constituencies.
- Listen to clients, volunteers, donors, patrons, sponsors, and the community in order to improve services and generate community involvement. Assure community awareness of GeekGirlCon’s response to community needs.
- Serve as chief spokesperson for GeekGirlCon, assuring proper representation of GeekGirlCon to the community.
- Executive Director may not hold any other staff position while holding the Executive Director title.
- The Executive Director is elected for two years.
- Must live in/near the Seattle area.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
Seattle, WA 98104
December 30, 2021