Research Officers (Sustainable Finance)
Please visit the new page to apply.
Recruiting Organization: Blockchain & Climate Institute
The Blockchain Climate Institute (BCI) is an international volunteers-led think tank supporting and advocating the application of blockchain technology in the global fight against climate change.
BCI is currently looking for outstanding volunteers to become Principal or Senior Officers in the Finance Research Division. We are looking for a passionate professional who takes a methodological approach to their work, conducts independent research and analysis, engages with key stakeholders and establishes strategic partnerships to progress the BCI’s core mission. Driving the end-to-end research process, conducting both independent research and support to members of working groups, publish research, produce briefing material for speeches and presentations for clients and external conferences; and turn actions into impacts to shape climate policy on a global platform.
Our research on the "Real Estate" sector continues to grow after an amazing performance in 2021 as demonstrated by the shortlisting of our work among the best Sustainable FinTech solutions for the G20/BIS Tech Sprint : (see press release h ttps://www.bis.org/press/p210625.htm).
We are looking for Sustainable FinTech enthusiast that aim to bring innovative solutions to address the huge challenges faced by the Real Estate. Our focus on this specific economic sector comes from well-known facts:
· Carbon Emissions: Real estate accounts for more than 30% of emissions when considering embedded carbon.
· Economic Value: Real estate is a significant asset class (recall that 2008/9 financial crisis originated from USA subprime mortgages).
· Climate & Transition Risks: Building are particularly exposed climate risks, both transition and physical.
· Sustainable Development Goals and General Impact: We all live and/or work in buildings, and these are not just linked to many SDGs (e.g. 7, 8, 9, 11, 13) but also to many other important economic sectors such as Energy and Transport (e.g. Electric Vehicles charging at home or at work).
The credentials of candidates should cover the following areas of knowledge (or willingness to learn):
- Working knowledge of major guidelines for financial institutions to assess climate risks and opportunities such as the TCFD Recommendations (Task Force on Climate-Related Financial Disclosures). Special focus on methodologies like CRREM is a plus.
- Working knowledge of different aspects of finance, including important asset classes (e.g. Fixed Income, Equities, Commodities, etc ... including Derivatives), types of stakeholders (e.g. Institutional Investors, Exchanges, Asset Managers, Regulators), Risks Assessment, New Regulations (e.g. Basel III/IV), among others.
- Working knowledge of important Sustainable Finance standards. This includes financial products such as Fixed Income (e.g. ICMA Green Bonds Principles, ISO 14030, etc), Equities (e.g. SASB, GRI), EU Taxonomy, among others.
- Working knowledge of Digital Data Technologies (e.g. Internet of Things, Artificial Intelligence and DLT). Coding experience on any of these areas will be a plus.
- Working knowledge or experience on innovative solutions to the Real Estate sector. For examples of innovative solutions to greening the real estate sector, you could refer to some of the Green Finance Institute reports https://www.greenfinanceinstitute.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/Financing-energy-efficient-buildings-the-path-to-retrofit-at-scale.pdf.
The responsibilities of the officer will depend on the specific area of expertise of the volunteer.
● Legal experts could provide support on legal aspects, in cooperation with Legal Research Division.
● Risk experts could expand our work on TCFD risks, both physical and transition risks.
● Technology experts could expand our work on IoT, AI and DLT to better link projects and investors.
● Fixed Income experts could support our work on securitization to help bridge the gap between bonds and loans.
What are we looking for?
Skills & Abilities :
- Excellent oral communication skills, including the ability to develop effective working relationships, work flexibly across professional and operational boundaries, and communicate professionally with internal and external stakeholders at all levels;
- Excellent English writing skills and detail orientated;
- Excellent organisational skills and ability to balance competing demands under pressure;
- Strong presentation skills and ability to present ideas appropriately and persuasively;
- Aptitude in Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish (desirable).
General & Specialist Knowledge :
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office
- Strong depth of knowledge on topics central to the BCI such as climate change, climate finance, blockchain technology and artificial intelligence preferred (see vacancy description for details).
Education & Training :
- A relevant degree or training in relevant discipline, at PhD level preferred;
- Experience in producing research outputs and structured reports for different audiences.
Relevant Experience :
- Proven ability in organisation/business development (e.g. experience of working in a target-driven role)
- Experience in building constructive relationships with stakeholders;
- Experience of working independently and with teams to drive forward projects using own initiative;
- Experience in designing, planning and facilitating independent research and the ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Experience and/or interest in digital technologies such as AI, DLT.
Climate change and sustainability -These are two hot topic groups that have been headlining media outlets, dominating conferences & events, and gaining increasing traction in research and pilot projects. BCI is here as an expert platform to help governments, inter-governmental and regional organisations as well as relevant corporates to negotiate the complex landscape of emerging technologies for environmental good. We cement our expertise by putting in the hard work in researching, identifying and analysing the applications of emerging technologies so that informed decisions can be made by the stakeholders in the climate change and action network.
What's in it for you?
- Your mind will be mentally stimulated, hence providing you a sense of purpose;
- You will advance and boost your professional career by helping you to make professional connections and giving you real-world experience at the intersection between climate and emerging technologies; and
- Help you develop long-lasting professional relationships with others. People who come together to make the world a better place forge close connection.
Language/Cultral Support AvailableFalse
Fee Amount: None
This opportunity is recurring
389 5th Ave, 9th Floor, New York, NY 11109, US
To bridge the gap between intention and action in order to bring about social impact.
Idealist is a leading online global resource for finding jobs in the nonprofit sector, as well as volunteer opportunities and graduate school programs for social impact.
International House64 Nile StreetLondon, N1 7SRUnited Kingdom
December 30, 2021
- WEEKDAYS, FEW_HOURS_WEEK